Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever had an apprentice translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes! Feb 18, 2020

... in quite a lot of numbers of my source texts: they must have been created by non-native apprentices, trying hard to translate from their mother tongue into English, mostly not knowing WHAT actually they translate.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-02-19 07:43 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When still employed Feb 19, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:
"Have you ever had an apprentice translator?"

Well, when I still worked in-house, the old translators would teach the new translators how the world works. So, eventually, I became the "old" translator who taught new hires. This involved teaching them the in-house style and generally turning them into translators. Only one person under my wing had actual translator training, but the rest of the people came in from other professions. I had an interpreter, a news anchor and a history teacher under my wing, all of whom became adequate translators.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever had an apprentice translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »