Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When it comes to smartphones, do you think that translators are mostly "Androidians" or "iOS-ans"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Why guessing: 17:3 Feb 28, 2020

Although Stevy Jobs was good at idolizing trinkets popularizing gadgets, his bald rash promise in 2010 to destroy Android (read Samsung) to a frazzle is still a wet pipe dream: statistically there're ~85% of affordable Android (Google) smartphones and ~15% overpriced iPhones (Apple).
... See more
Although Stevy Jobs was good at idolizing trinkets popularizing gadgets, his bald rash promise in 2010 to destroy Android (read Samsung) to a frazzle is still a wet pipe dream: statistically there're ~85% of affordable Android (Google) smartphones and ~15% overpriced iPhones (Apple).

Unlike smartTVs and other OS-powered devices, this 15% iPhone market share has been about the same for... some 10 years.

Indeed, I've got several iPhones, iPads, and Macs, but they are either presents or some project remains, such no-better gadgets at other-dimension prices.

By the way, many factories produce Apple and not-Apple simultaneously, tsk!
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:31
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Trying to process this post lol Feb 29, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I always find it odd to discover that someone whom I had thought was otherwise perfectly normal uses an Apple product. It's just so strange.

I know there are such people (and some of them are good friends or colleagues, therefore I don't judge them), but I always wonder what disaster must have befallen them in their past to have resulted in them having an Apple product. There are potential reasons even for using Linux. But what possibly can the reasons be for using an Apple product? I'm not being judgmental. I'm just [often] astounded.

I'm also surprised when I encounter anyone with an iPhone that does not have a cracked screen. I'm not joking -- unless it's a new phone, the screen is cracked, you can bank on it.

I find Apple products to have certain elegance and smoothness that Android just cannot beat : p

I used both kinds and I would go for Apple always. However, since most apps that I use professionally did not run so well on Apple products I always used PC for work (Yes, I admit it, use of apps is problematic and costly on Apple). I use Apple for personal purposes, but it‘s best to avoid all devices and screens and just go to the nature or camping in area with no wi-fi reach.

If I were a graphic designer or visual artist I am sure I would be 100% on Apple only.

Regarding fragility, oh well just because it’s costly it doesn’t mean it will take care of itself without you taking care of it.

Susanna Martoni

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Androidians in all cases, not just translation Feb 29, 2020

The world population is mostly Androidian.
Apple products are directed to a specific niche, which does not include the vast majority of mortals in this planet. Of course anyone can do a little sacrifice and purchase an Apple product, as they are usually a lot superior in quality and resources than the Androids. However, this user will always have a hard time with software, exchanging files and interacting with the other 90% of the population, finding technical assistance and parts/accesso
... See more
The world population is mostly Androidian.
Apple products are directed to a specific niche, which does not include the vast majority of mortals in this planet. Of course anyone can do a little sacrifice and purchase an Apple product, as they are usually a lot superior in quality and resources than the Androids. However, this user will always have a hard time with software, exchanging files and interacting with the other 90% of the population, finding technical assistance and parts/accessories (when you finally find them, they cost 10 times as much as the Android similar), etc. Even their chargers are different from all others, and you can't use your friend's charger!
In short: you are either rich, or you'll try Apple once, and never have one again.

[Edited at 2020-02-29 07:35 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Susanna Martoni

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Weird Feb 29, 2020

Mario Freitas wrote:
Apple products are directed to a specific niche

The biggest company in the world is a niche?
they are usually a lot superior in quality and resources than the Androids

Correct.
this user will always have a hard time with software, exchanging files and interacting with the other 90% of the population

I've never had that problem
finding technical assistance

I've never needed it
parts/accessories (when you finally find them, they cost 10 times as much as the Android similar), etc.

Very easy to find

I think this whole thread is weird. Whoever started it seems to have a particularly pointless chip on his shoulder (or may have had a traumatic experience with an Apple fanboi, in which case I completely sympathise).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Enlightening discussion Feb 29, 2020

Seriously. I'm glad I answered "I don't know." The universe I live in here in California is all iPhones. Everyone is tethered to them. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there are Androidians out there.

I went with Android because the price was right. I've had 2 phones over 5 years, but because I'm on my computer all day long, I don't depend on it as much as the general population. From what I understand, the younger generation mostly depends on smart phones and tablets unless
... See more
Seriously. I'm glad I answered "I don't know." The universe I live in here in California is all iPhones. Everyone is tethered to them. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there are Androidians out there.

I went with Android because the price was right. I've had 2 phones over 5 years, but because I'm on my computer all day long, I don't depend on it as much as the general population. From what I understand, the younger generation mostly depends on smart phones and tablets unless they are required to use computers for their studies or work.
Collapse

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Feb 29, 2020

to everybody
An enlightening discussion, as Muriel says.

I think I will buy some Android stuff.
(But I am still not convinced) - (My God)

Un saluto!

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The UK is not the world, Tom Feb 29, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

Tom, congratulations for living in the UK and being part of the exceptions that look from their borders inward.
Now try to think about the 7.3 billion people in the world and read my comment again, please.

The biggest company in the world is a niche? Niche refers to the clientelle, not to the company. The phrase says "products directed to a specific niche"
I've never had that problem. Of course not, in the UK!
Very easy to find. In the UK! And still ten times more expansive than the Android equivalent, which of course you skipped.

[Edited at 2020-02-29 21:11 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Actually, I'm Irish Mar 1, 2020

Dear Mario,

Please refrain from making personal remarks about other users.

[Edited at 2020-03-01 08:30 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Are you serious?? Mar 1, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Dear Mario,

Please refrain from making personal remarks about other users.

[Edited at 2020-03-01 08:30 GMT]

You replied to my comment, and I replied to your comment. I'm sorry if you interpreted any of it as personal, for it was not.

[Edited at 2020-03-01 11:50 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
deleted Mar 1, 2020

deleted

[Edited at 2020-03-01 09:12 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
NL vs UK vs IE Mar 1, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
Actually, I'm Irish.

FWIW, I checked a Dutch (for me local), Irish and UK tech sales web site to see how many "products" are available (on the Dutch site, I limited the search to the past 5 years). I ignored non-major players. It would seem that Ireland is a bit of an Apple stronghold w.r.t. hand-held devices.

NL:
Phones: Android 86%, Apple 14%
Tablets: Windows 49%, Android 37%, Apple 14%
Laptops: Windows 90%, Chrome 7%, Apple 3%

IE:
Phones: Apple 55%, Android 44%
Tablets: Apple 57%, Android 40%, Windows 2%
Laptops: Windows 93%, Android/Chrome 4%, Apple 2%

UK:
Phones: Android 62%, Apple 38%
Tablets: Android and Apple 39%, Windows 22%
Laptops: Windows 90%, Chrome 8%, Apple 2%

[Edited at 2020-03-01 10:52 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Irish Mar 2, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

It would seem that Ireland is a bit of an Apple stronghold

Maybe that's because the HQ of Apple Europe is in Ireland.

https://tinyurl.com/reeqar8

[Edited at 2020-03-02 08:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When it comes to smartphones, do you think that translators are mostly "Androidians" or "iOS-ans"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »