Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Proofreaders never admit that a translation is very good. Agree or disagree?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
Disagree Mar 10, 2020

It doesn't happen often that I get to proofread a translation that's very good, which only makes me appreciate them more.

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:40
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
"Proofreader's bias" Mar 10, 2020

There is a certain "bias" to the proofreader's role, as it his/her job to comb for errors.

I confess that I was probably too harsh in my first years, until I realised that there are many ways to skin a cat, and it did not need to sound just like my translation would ... it just has to be correct

Kay Denney
Angus Stewart
neilmac
Noni Gilbert Riley
Mario Freitas

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Yes, this CAN happen at times ... :/ Mar 10, 2020

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Most proofreaders feel that they have to fix "mistakes", in a way to justify their payment.

Some love to destroy excellent translations, by filling the whole page with red "corrections". Else if they return a perfect translation without any corrections they feel as if they haven't worked at all.

The truth is, that they mostly make stylistic / preferential changes, using absolute synonmys. If they don't show some red marks to the client, they feel like if it was not worth hiring them, and the client believes that they did nothing.

As they get paid half of what the translator receives, they do as if they are the masters and have plenty control over the translation, pointing out meaningless mistakes, and trying to convince the client that the translator is really bad so that he/she doesn't get paid and they themselves get the translation that they otherwise didn't get.

Most of them are revengeful tyrants.

[Edited at 2020-03-10 13:35 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I always try to find something positive to say about a translation. Mar 10, 2020

I never feel I have to find errors solely to justify getting paid. I feel it is worth at least as much to the client if I reassure them that the translation was good. I occasionally mark passages to say so, in a different colour from corrections.

When I started out in-house, a colleague did that when he proofread my work.
He knew I was not too confident as a beginner, and also that it was important to know when I had done well, and where there was room for improvement. It made
... See more
I never feel I have to find errors solely to justify getting paid. I feel it is worth at least as much to the client if I reassure them that the translation was good. I occasionally mark passages to say so, in a different colour from corrections.

When I started out in-house, a colleague did that when he proofread my work.
He knew I was not too confident as a beginner, and also that it was important to know when I had done well, and where there was room for improvement. It made the criticism acceptable.

So I try to do the same. I have seen some excellent translations over the years, and I would look silly myself if I messed them up!
I have also seen some poor work, but then the client takes my criticism seriously, because I mean it. I also send explanations of at least some of the changes I make.

I know how it hurts when someone ruins a translation I have worked hard on, and finds ´errors´ which I know are not really mistakes. Why would I want to do that to a colleague? I don´t want anyone to see me as a tyrant, even if they do not know who I am.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Disagree Mar 10, 2020

I can only really speak for myself. And without getting into a discussion about what proofreading is, let's just say that a lot of my work nowadays consists of revising, correcting and improving text written in English by non-native authors. Whenever I come across one that is well written, I usually acknowledge it or mention it to whoever is around to hear me.

However, I very rarely have to revise texts translated by other professional translators, but I'm sure I would also acknowle
... See more
I can only really speak for myself. And without getting into a discussion about what proofreading is, let's just say that a lot of my work nowadays consists of revising, correcting and improving text written in English by non-native authors. Whenever I come across one that is well written, I usually acknowledge it or mention it to whoever is around to hear me.

However, I very rarely have to revise texts translated by other professional translators, but I'm sure I would also acknowledge their quality as well.
Collapse

Philip Lees

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:40
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't know ... Mar 11, 2020

... about other translators. I don't "proofread" because it takes more time than translating from scratch.

I'm aware that some agencies hire novice translators and then get experienced professionals to "proofread" their work. In that case, it might be easy to find fault with the translation.

I always appreciate it when a colleague comes up with a brilliant solution or turn of phrase.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
I don't know Mar 11, 2020

But when I do proofread translations, I also point out something positive and if I feel a certain remark can help the translator to improve, I tell the PM to forward my observation. I followed a seminar by ITI and it specified that we should respect the translator's work and change as little as possible but I've known translators who never find anything positive to say about a translation.

Victor Donkov
Victor Donkov
Local time: 19:40
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Disagree Mar 11, 2020

Sometimes it shows by the percentage of "red" text. If there is none, it shows the translation has been good. No need to explicitly mention it.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proofreader bias Mar 11, 2020

I generally agree with Cristina's and Justin's remarks above.

In a worst-case scenario, a translator can face a situation where a proofreader behaves in a hostile and malicious way, trying to fundamentally discredit the translator's efforts.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I was successfully able to defend myself and, in the end, thoroughly "discredit the discreditor." But this involved considerable effort and stress, especially since the Project Manager invo
... See more
I generally agree with Cristina's and Justin's remarks above.

In a worst-case scenario, a translator can face a situation where a proofreader behaves in a hostile and malicious way, trying to fundamentally discredit the translator's efforts.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I was successfully able to defend myself and, in the end, thoroughly "discredit the discreditor." But this involved considerable effort and stress, especially since the Project Manager involved was fairly clueless, and lacked knowledge of the source language of the translation. (For example, he at one point suggested that he, the proofreader, and I have a long conference call to sort everything out. I categorically refused, for accepting would have *ipso facto* lent a certain legitimacy to the proofreader's critique - in addition to setting the stage for an ugly confrontation.)

So my self-defense turned into a kind of sub-project of the translation project. Not a pleasant experience.
Collapse

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:40
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Disagree Mar 11, 2020

I don't proofread the work done by other translators, but sometimes I do receive praise from proofreaders.

I also remember being told by an agency that they won't work with the respective proofreader anymore when I explained how that proofreader had ruined my work.

Most of the times, however, there is no feedback at all (or it just doesn't reach me), so as long as the work keeps coming in I assume it's good enough.

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 10:40
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disagree Mar 11, 2020

I once received a translation to proofread. It was better than anything I would have done.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 01:40
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Question, Agencies? Mar 12, 2020

Normally it is agency who asks for proofreading.

What do they do when a proofreader concluded there is nothing to fix in translation
- do they consider the proofreader payment was not worth it?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
They don't believe you Mar 12, 2020

Chie. I wrote:

Normally it is agency who asks for proofreading.

What do they do when a proofreader concluded there is nothing to fix in translation?

Happened to me. The agency 'accused' me of not doing my job.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Estimated over 90% Mar 12, 2020

1) Zillions of needy bottom-feeders, mostly newbies, some decent translators, and a few high-flyers
+
2) Very confusing low rates, too tight/impossible deadlines, extremely poor PE/MT/glossaries, plenty of freebies, bottom-feeding competition, infamous ‘discounts’ and other weird requirements

Why should editors and proofreaders care? It’s a substa
... See more
1) Zillions of needy bottom-feeders, mostly newbies, some decent translators, and a few high-flyers
+
2) Very confusing low rates, too tight/impossible deadlines, extremely poor PE/MT/glossaries, plenty of freebies, bottom-feeding competition, infamous ‘discounts’ and other weird requirements

Why should editors and proofreaders care? It’s a substandard mainstream standard, alas.
Sometimes it kills figuratively, sometimes it kills literally.

[Edited at 2020-03-12 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Proofreaders never admit that a translation is very good. Agree or disagree?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »