Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you had to postpone/cancel recent travel plans for work or for leisure?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:00
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Mar 13, 2020

I wish I was so lucky, but I still have three dependent children living at home and life is a constant financial struggle.

Enough of my personal gripes; I'd like to assure people that this crazy time will pass and life will get back to normal. We can't let a virus beat us into fear and submission and stop doing what humans do: interact with each other. It will burn out sooner rather than later.

Please accept my commiserations if you know anyone or have lost anyone due t
... See more
I wish I was so lucky, but I still have three dependent children living at home and life is a constant financial struggle.

Enough of my personal gripes; I'd like to assure people that this crazy time will pass and life will get back to normal. We can't let a virus beat us into fear and submission and stop doing what humans do: interact with each other. It will burn out sooner rather than later.

Please accept my commiserations if you know anyone or have lost anyone due to this virus. We will beat it.

Take care!
Collapse

Justin Peterson
expressisverbis
Laura Kingdon

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 13, 2020

I had plans to go home to Scotland for Easter, to roll proper Easter eggs...
Living in the North of Italy, we frequently go over the border to visit family in Austria and Switzerland, that is all postponed.
I even thought I could get a day trip to Venice, now that it's quiet without tourists, but now we are confined to the local area.
Today I had to take the car out and thought I might find a road block, but I was in luck.

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:00
French to English
+ ...
No, but I may have to Mar 13, 2020

This is not a good time to travel.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 13, 2020

Plans were to travel to Italy or Spain this month or next. I still hadn’t decided which country to visit this year when it became clear that it would be better to put off traveling for the time being.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:00
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I intended to Mar 13, 2020

travel this year, but due this devastating disease, I have changed my plans.
I keep my faith, and we will overcome this threat!
All my sympathy and support to all in this difficult time.
Everything will be fine for everyone!

ipv

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Mar 13, 2020

I had hopes to save my vacation - directly to Aruba in mid-April; the island was squeaky clean. Today it was closed till March 31. 2 cases brought in, both by Americans, 1 from New York where, incidentally, I have an assignment 3 days after the supposed return...

I have mileage ticket to St. Pete for May 5. No comments and no problem to cancel - no fee, full refund etc but AirFrance does not extend force-majeure to the same number of miles. Currently it's 43000 for a round trip tick
... See more
I had hopes to save my vacation - directly to Aruba in mid-April; the island was squeaky clean. Today it was closed till March 31. 2 cases brought in, both by Americans, 1 from New York where, incidentally, I have an assignment 3 days after the supposed return...

I have mileage ticket to St. Pete for May 5. No comments and no problem to cancel - no fee, full refund etc but AirFrance does not extend force-majeure to the same number of miles. Currently it's 43000 for a round trip ticket booked in January, and twice as much for one way in June-July.

If I had traveled abroad within the last 30 days, access to some of my current domestic assignments could have been temporarily denied. The month it still young... What a spring!

The world of interpreters is being kicked in the teeth. We need travel and travelers. My sympathy to the tour guides, my former colleagues who share the same fate.
Collapse

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you had to postpone/cancel recent travel plans for work or for leisure?".

View the poll results »

I had no travel plans.

Tom in London

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 14, 2020

yup - leisure plans only since I don't travel for work.

Conference this upcoming weekend has been cancelled - luckily the French railways are reimbursing everyone, even those with non-refundable tickets.
I was hoping to visit my son in May and go to weddings in June and August. For the moment, none of these events look very likely. I'm pretty sure things will have calmed down by August but the groom is pessimistic.

Stay safe folks! Fingers crossed, especially fo
... See more
yup - leisure plans only since I don't travel for work.

Conference this upcoming weekend has been cancelled - luckily the French railways are reimbursing everyone, even those with non-refundable tickets.
I was hoping to visit my son in May and go to weddings in June and August. For the moment, none of these events look very likely. I'm pretty sure things will have calmed down by August but the groom is pessimistic.

Stay safe folks! Fingers crossed, especially for our fellow translators in China Iran Italy...
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but ... Mar 15, 2020

... people who were going to visit me have canceled their trip.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Other Mar 16, 2020

I went to a major family event in the UK but changed my flight to an earlier date when I saw things were getting serious in Spain

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:00
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Mar 17, 2020

Back in January, when life was normal, we booked a family vacation in Cuba, with two little kids, and were supposed to leave for the sun and fun next week. Well, never gonna happen. We had to cancel for the fear of being stuck in a quarantine on this side of the border or the other.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you had to postpone/cancel recent travel plans for work or for leisure?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »