Poll: Have you noticed any trends during the pandemic which may be beneficial to translation/interpreting?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 23, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you noticed any trends during the pandemic which may be beneficial to translation/interpreting?".

View the poll results »

Sergiy Butkov
Sergiy Butkov
Ukraine
Local time: 20:53
Member (2014)
English to Russian
+ ...
Definitely Nov 23, 2020

1. Some companies which previously worked with agencies now try to save and switch to freelancers.
2. Companies which did not accept cooperation with freelancers due to their policies, vision or security reasons now switch to remote working and begin considering freelancers.

Joana Neves
RayLee
Mark Nathan
Karol Biscardi

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Nov 23, 2020

Beneficial trends? None, whatsoever! In these times of uncertainty - and, for many, worry, fear, loneliness, sickness and even death - I can’t really think of any beneficial trends…

Angie Garbarino
Aline Amorim
Giancarlo Avellino
Angus Stewart
Christiana Grunwald
Anja Hajek
Giovana Zaltron

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Exactly Nov 23, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

Beneficial trends? None, whatsoever! In these times of uncertainty - and, for many, worry, fear, loneliness, sickness and even death - I can’t really think of any beneficial trends…

In my case for example I had to fight with the infection of my son, as a teacher, (the only person I have since I lost my mother and my husband) who is now ok, but it was a real difficult challenge, helping him (he was at home) trying not to infect me at least for now, not to mention fear, uncertainity and loneliness I have to fight with.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 16:39 GMT]

RayLee
Mirelluk
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Susanna Martoni

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too Nov 23, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

Me too.
I can’t really think of any beneficial trends.

RayLee
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nope Nov 23, 2020

"Have you noticed any trends during the pandemic which may be beneficial to translation/interpreting?".

None whatsover, and I have a friend who nearly died (survived by refusing to be taken to hospital) but others seem to have been getting a lot of Covid-related work.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 10:25 GMT]

RayLee
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:53
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Not really Nov 23, 2020

I've had quite a lot of work directly or indirectly related to Covid, but that's probably the only benefit there is.

One unwelcome trend I'm noticing is that with many people working from home now (who didn't do it before) the concept of "business hours" seems gone. I am receiving more e-mails in the evenings and on weekends and there is now also a sense of urgency to them, which makes it harder to ignore them until next morning or Monday.

And, of course, there is nothi
... See more
I've had quite a lot of work directly or indirectly related to Covid, but that's probably the only benefit there is.

One unwelcome trend I'm noticing is that with many people working from home now (who didn't do it before) the concept of "business hours" seems gone. I am receiving more e-mails in the evenings and on weekends and there is now also a sense of urgency to them, which makes it harder to ignore them until next morning or Monday.

And, of course, there is nothing much to like about the whole situation in general. I hope it will be over soon.
Collapse

RayLee
Christine Andersen
Mark Nathan
Nora Escoms
Josephine Cassar

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 23, 2020

Most of my friends are no longer stuck working 9 to 5 so they can come out to play during the week and send me a steady stream of rude memes to get me through the more tedious jobs without screaming

Alix Paupy
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Kate Perak

Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Will these volumes continue? Nov 23, 2020

I've had more work + better rates than ever this year, which has been good financially though bad for my already not great work-life balance. But where else am I going and what else am I doing?

This year also coincided with me taking on work at slightly better rates, so in addition to my increased availability, I've made business improvements not related to the pandemic.

I don't think we'll know until the end of next year if this is a trend or the new normal.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, for the entire market as well Nov 26, 2020

Freelancing and working from home were seen as "undue" in many places and areas of the market before this crisis. Now, most people realize you can keep your quality and productivity with your staff working at home and A LOT happier that way. I really hope this trend continues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you noticed any trends during the pandemic which may be beneficial to translation/interpreting?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »