Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
All power to Big-Google-is-watching-you?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:14
Czech to German
+ ...
Mar 1, 2012

If you are worrying about your privacy (and not only that!) try this search engine:

https://startpage.com/eng/

"Startpage search engine protects your Privacy!

Startpage does NOT record your IP address!
Nor do we share your personal information with any third party. Read more on our privacy position or go directly to Startpage's Privacy Policy.
Startpage offers
... See more
If you are worrying about your privacy (and not only that!) try this search engine:

https://startpage.com/eng/

"Startpage search engine protects your Privacy!

Startpage does NOT record your IP address!
Nor do we share your personal information with any third party. Read more on our privacy position or go directly to Startpage's Privacy Policy.
Startpage offers you Web search results from Google - the world's most popular search engine

When you search with Startpage the Web results are generated by Google. This offers you the search results and search features you may have grown accustomed to.
A Unique Combination

On Startpage the privacy of Ixquick is combined with the Web search results from Google. The combination of these two features is what makes Startpage so special.
You can continue using the Web results from the world's most popular search engine but now under the privacy protection of Ixquick, the world's most private search engine." ...

And here's an article about Google's latest tricks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17205754
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Mar 1, 2012

For an additional peace of mind, may I also recommend SumRando, a company that gives you an anonymous IP address so that your use of the web is not traceable back to you?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:14
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
My approach to the problem Mar 1, 2012

I hate Google tracking me, that's why I recently abandoned all of their services completely, including Gmail.

For a search engine, you could use DuckDuckGo, which neither tracks nor bubbles you.

Plus, you could use OpenDNS as your DNS service provider.

I am using both.

[Edited at 2012-03-01 22:21 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh my goodness Mar 1, 2012

I am wondering now whether I should stop using Google Chrome altogether. What are your views about this, folks?

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
French to English
+ ...
Hm - Mar 1, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I am wondering now whether I should stop using Google Chrome altogether. What are your views about this, folks?

Hard to know sometimes, isn't it?!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Chrome Mar 2, 2012

I've never used Chrome for exactly this reason: Google has enough information about me already. I prefer using open-source software whenever possible.

We know what Firefox does because we can see the code (if we're so inclined). But I minimize the number of third-party plug-ins that I use.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How I stopped worrying Mar 2, 2012

I use Adblocker since years and never see any ads, neither from Google nor from other sources. So it does not matter what Google knows about my habits, their ads stay away from my screen.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
...and learned to love the bomb Mar 2, 2012

As far as I know, the terms of privacy apply only if you are actually logged in to one of Google's services (Gmail, Blogger, Google+, Youtube).
If you are not logged in, Google cannot know who is clicking what, is that correct?

Unfortunately, Google is the best search engine, period.

Startpage - fine, but what does "Enhanced by Google" mean exactly?

I don't use Chrome, but more because I don't like it that much, not because of google-paranoia.
<
... See more
As far as I know, the terms of privacy apply only if you are actually logged in to one of Google's services (Gmail, Blogger, Google+, Youtube).
If you are not logged in, Google cannot know who is clicking what, is that correct?

Unfortunately, Google is the best search engine, period.

Startpage - fine, but what does "Enhanced by Google" mean exactly?

I don't use Chrome, but more because I don't like it that much, not because of google-paranoia.

Just because you use Ad Block doesn't mean that your clicks aren't recorded. You may not see the ads, but info about you is out there... somewhere.

And last but not least, good people, we should first stop for a minute and think how much information about ourselves we give out freely, of our own accord. All the FB profile tweaks, all kinds of strangeness required before we register at some site...

If someone asks me too many questions before letting me do something on the web, I simply click on and don't use their services, I'm sorry.
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Quite Mar 2, 2012

I think I'll stick to Opera, ta!

I'd be interested in your experiences of Sumrando, though Tomás - such as speed, whether you have had to upgrade to a paid account (in terms of your internet consumption as a translator, not as a private user)...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't use it yet Mar 2, 2012

JaneD wrote:
I'd be interested in your experiences of Sumrando, though Tomás - such as speed, whether you have had to upgrade to a paid account (in terms of your internet consumption as a translator, not as a private user)...

I'm affraid I know about SumRando and how it works for professional reasons. I am not a user myself... yet! Honestly I haven't been to worried about privacy, but have thought about it very often. I might take measures soon.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Stop them tracking you Mar 2, 2012

You can stop all websites from tracking what you look at. This will make it impossible for them to send you targeted advertisements or suggestions about purchases.

Quote from the website of Do Not Track Plus:

"Blocking tracking is its first priority. Stop worrying about ever-changing privacy policies and take the first step towards getting control back over your information. DNT+ keeps an eye out for advertising companies and social networks looking to gather your pers
... See more
You can stop all websites from tracking what you look at. This will make it impossible for them to send you targeted advertisements or suggestions about purchases.

Quote from the website of Do Not Track Plus:

"Blocking tracking is its first priority. Stop worrying about ever-changing privacy policies and take the first step towards getting control back over your information. DNT+ keeps an eye out for advertising companies and social networks looking to gather your personal information.

Free tool that puts you back in control of your information
Best available blocking stops more than 600 trackers
Compatible with Mac or PC for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer
Automatically updates to catch new trackers

Try it!

http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php?
Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never browse for fun Mar 2, 2012

I never browse the internet for pleasure. But I admit I seem to spend my life visiting pages for translation purposes.

Up until now, it used to amuse me when I got annoying adverts about things I've no interest in buying but now you've made me think

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Tracking protection lists Mar 2, 2012

Internet Explorer 9 offers a feature called "Tracking protection lists", which can help you keep the trackers away.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Doesn't really worry me Mar 3, 2012

Since I've got nothing to hide, it doesn't really worry me.

I have learned to ignore the few ads I still get to see and I use the internet mainly for research and professional purposes, so I don't think it would be much use to anyone to know which websites I visit.

Personally, I see a lot more danger in Facebook. It has always made me wonder why people are so eager to supply very personal information so freely which could easily be used for profiling purposes.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
DNT + Mar 4, 2012

Thanks for the information and link, Tom. DNT + is really useful and I was appalled at the number of companies tracking me. Well, not anymore!

@ inkweaver: we certainly got nothing to hide. However I always had a creepy feeling of someone watching over my shoulder... I never liked it.

Edited to add: about the big G., did anybody know that they are being sued in France because of StreetView? ... See more
Thanks for the information and link, Tom. DNT + is really useful and I was appalled at the number of companies tracking me. Well, not anymore!

@ inkweaver: we certainly got nothing to hide. However I always had a creepy feeling of someone watching over my shoulder... I never liked it.

Edited to add: about the big G., did anybody know that they are being sued in France because of StreetView?

A man didn't understand why he became all of a sudden the laughing stock of his neighbourhood. It wasn't long though before he discovered that a StreetView vehicle took a picture of him while he was satisfying a natural need in his garden.

Somewhat reminds me of the novel Le Dossier 51, which was adapted into a movie (1978).

[Edited at 2012-03-04 07:06 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All power to Big-Google-is-watching-you?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »