Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to transfer files from PC to external hard disk at a fast speed for back up purpose
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 09:42
English to German
What means "cloning"? Feb 18, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

There is ONE clone on my external HD (...) CCC will clone whatever it finds on my HD that has been changed since the previous clone. If there is a corrupted file it will clone that too. If there is "wrong data" (whatever that means) on a file, it will clone that too. If a file has been deleted, it will also be deleted on the clone

A clone is not a file-wise copy of a bunch of files. A clone is a bit-wise copy of the disk (often called image copy), totally independent of the of the operating system, of the file system and of the history. It is a snapshot that is independent of all the other snapshots you might have created later on.

But what you describe here, is a software that depends on change logs in order to save time & space. This means that you never have a snapshot that can be straightforward copied back to the disk. Instead you have to rely on a complicated process that uses the change logs in order to put together a puzzle. Of course this works in theory and most often in practice – as long as all things work perfectly. But why does one create backup copies at all? Just in case that something does NOT work perfectly.

Be sure: Just one tiny fault on your HD might lead to a scenario that prevents a complete restore of your ONE "clone".

That's why I have several disk clones PLUS several copies of the kind you described (but only of my personal files). In case my HD gets defective, I buy a new one and restore a clone from scratch. So I get back a working PC. Then I copy back the most recent personal files.

(BTW, I wonder who knows how to restore anything from scratch onto an empty hard disk AND has ever tried out this process before the worst-case scenario. With my brand new PC with Windows 10 I tried it out and it did NOT work. It took me 2 hours plus my PC know-how plus a working Internet connection plus a Restore DVD to get it working.)

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:42
Member (2015)
German to English
That was a lengthy discussion Samuel Feb 18, 2016

I'm not completely sure why you were pointing that out as I never buy Hugo Boss gear myself.

I can however confirm that everything I have so far tested on the clone works as it should from the original, i.e. Office programmes, SDL products, etc. etc. I have booted from both and was exceptionally pleased to discover that in the event of an HDD fail I can successfully switch to the other within a minute or two.
... See more
I'm not completely sure why you were pointing that out as I never buy Hugo Boss gear myself.

I can however confirm that everything I have so far tested on the clone works as it should from the original, i.e. Office programmes, SDL products, etc. etc. I have booted from both and was exceptionally pleased to discover that in the event of an HDD fail I can successfully switch to the other within a minute or two.

One thing that did happen however is that I had originally dedicated the HDD as Y so it would be easier to differentiate from the other HDD but it always reverts to E after the backup.

The backup process itself only takes around 28 minutes and that's with about 320 GB data.

My intention is to use the clone purely to continue the work in progress and not to have to restore previous errors in software or whatever.

As I mentioned, I also use other backup methods, certain files are copied onto an external HDD, others are stored on my NAS and I also use Dropbox to sync with my laptop.

After having a bit of a nightmare in the past with failing systems and laptops deciding they weren't happy anymore, I decided that with my current workload I couldn't afford to have my system down for any length of time to reinstall everything again.

What method do you use yourself Samuel?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to transfer files from PC to external hard disk at a fast speed for back up purpose

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »