Thread poster: Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Carol Anthony scam Mar 29, 2019

As Marie Rollet wrote, "Carol Anthony" ([email protected]) is also running the identical scam. In my case:

I'm contacting you in regard to an Portuguese content document with
11,643 words (46 Pages). I need this document translated to,English i
would like to know if you are interested and available to get this
done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

In addition to the vague wording and gmail address, "an Portuguese" and the bad
... See more
As Marie Rollet wrote, "Carol Anthony" ([email protected]) is also running the identical scam. In my case:

I'm contacting you in regard to an Portuguese content document with
11,643 words (46 Pages). I need this document translated to,English i
would like to know if you are interested and available to get this
done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

In addition to the vague wording and gmail address, "an Portuguese" and the bad punctuation give away her true intent.

The originating IP is 209.85.160.196. To learn how to discover an e-mail IP, check the instructions for your mail software on https://whatismyipaddress.com/find-headers.
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
A very general comment Mar 29, 2019

Surely, all those "offers" are screaming "Scam" but I'd like to note that a not so perfect English in itself should not always be regarded as a definite scam.

Many PMs and even business owners in English-speaking countries are not native speakers of English. Many PMs are responsible for more than 1 language pair and can be perfect in 1-2 languages other than English; in certain cases their native knowledge of the client's language is no less, if not more, important, and a reasonable
... See more
Surely, all those "offers" are screaming "Scam" but I'd like to note that a not so perfect English in itself should not always be regarded as a definite scam.

Many PMs and even business owners in English-speaking countries are not native speakers of English. Many PMs are responsible for more than 1 language pair and can be perfect in 1-2 languages other than English; in certain cases their native knowledge of the client's language is no less, if not more, important, and a reasonable number of imperfections may not be a sign of trouble.

I know I'll never manage to convince the perfectionists but one of my best friends and a 2-person agency owner once signed a 3.5 million-dollar contract (among many others) and paid top rates. The perfectionists definitely could have pointed out a few nicks in her correspondence and spoken English.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson

Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Irina. Mar 29, 2019

[quote]IrinaN wrote:
"...not so perfect English in itself should not always be regarded as a definite scam."

Quite right, Irina. Thank you for pointing this out. However, when combined with other indicators such as a gmail address, vague description of the work, and no indication of the sender's agency or affiliation, flawed English increases the likelihood of a scammer source, especially when the e-mail purports to be from an Anglo name such as Carol Anthony.

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
IrinaN

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just be extremely cautious, people. Mar 29, 2019

If you think it's a scam, most likely it is. I recently got a text message from a phone in my area asking about a Spanish translation of a book. It was a very vague message, and when I replied I'd love to see the book, the person sent the same message. It seems it was a "bot".

You will know if it's a legit proposal if the person tells you a lot about the project, it has a valid gmail address, and several other factors. In my case, for first time individual clients, payment is in ad
... See more
If you think it's a scam, most likely it is. I recently got a text message from a phone in my area asking about a Spanish translation of a book. It was a very vague message, and when I replied I'd love to see the book, the person sent the same message. It seems it was a "bot".

You will know if it's a legit proposal if the person tells you a lot about the project, it has a valid gmail address, and several other factors. In my case, for first time individual clients, payment is in advance via Paypal. No exceptions. That will chase away some scammers.

[quote]Lisa Grayson wrote:

IrinaN wrote:
"...not so perfect English in itself should not always be regarded as a definite scam."

Quite right, Irina. Thank you for pointing this out. However, when combined with other indicators such as a gmail address, vague description of the work, and no indication of the sender's agency or affiliation, flawed English increases the likelihood of a scammer source, especially when the e-mail purports to be from an Anglo name such as Carol Anthony.
Collapse

vigna3991gma
vigna3991gma
United States
I was scammed too, through upwork Jan 22, 2020

The same horrible story happened for me. Ok, so if this is from the dark web, what are they going to do with our address and phone number and email address?

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:50
Romanian to English
+ ...
usually Jan 24, 2020

vigna3991gma wrote:

The same horrible story happened for me. Ok, so if this is from the dark web, what are they going to do with our address and phone number and email address?
'

The e-mail address ends up on their forums as a potential "gullible" victim. Expect many more "offers".

Stay safe,
lee

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam from [email protected] (aka terry cole) sent thru PROZ.com network

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »