Thread poster: Luis Rodriguez
Luis Rodriguez
Luis Rodriguez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2020

Fellow translators please continue to be vigilant for scammers. I recently received a job offer. Long story short they purposely issued a cashiers check overpaying me. When I notified them that I was going to return the check they asked me to deposit it into my account but I refused and told them if I didn’t hear from them in two days I was going to assume that it was a fraudulent check and tear it. I didn’t hear back from them. Also, I couldn’t communicate with them by calling just text.... See more
Fellow translators please continue to be vigilant for scammers. I recently received a job offer. Long story short they purposely issued a cashiers check overpaying me. When I notified them that I was going to return the check they asked me to deposit it into my account but I refused and told them if I didn’t hear from them in two days I was going to assume that it was a fraudulent check and tear it. I didn’t hear back from them. Also, I couldn’t communicate with them by calling just text. BEWARE,Collapse

Nicholas Burrier

RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
Other
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also ran into it. Aug 23, 2020

Somebody sent me a e-mail directly. You never know, could've been legit. So I replied. Here's what they replied:

-----------------------
Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from
... See more
Somebody sent me a e-mail directly. You never know, could've been legit. So I replied. Here's what they replied:

-----------------------
Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 23 of August 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
------------------------

The e-mail address is [email protected]
Collapse

Luis Rodriguez
Luis Rodriguez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scam Alert Aug 23, 2020

Yikes! That sounds SO familiar.

Angelica Werth (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam Alert

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »