Thread poster: Sophie Slonka
Sophie Slonka
Sophie Slonka
United States
Local time: 16:49
English to French
+ ...
Sep 9, 2020

This "person" found my email address on Proz.
Email 1: "How much is your cost price per words "
Email 2 after responding with an overpriced quote: "Here is the documents and kindly let me know the total cost price "
Email 3 after sending her word count: "I'm okay with the price and I don't have paypal and I can only make the payment via bank transfer ... Send me your account details i will transfer the funds to you ,"
Email 4 after asking for her contact info to generate
... See more
This "person" found my email address on Proz.
Email 1: "How much is your cost price per words "
Email 2 after responding with an overpriced quote: "Here is the documents and kindly let me know the total cost price "
Email 3 after sending her word count: "I'm okay with the price and I don't have paypal and I can only make the payment via bank transfer ... Send me your account details i will transfer the funds to you ,"
Email 4 after asking for her contact info to generate a proforma: What information do you need ?
Email 5 after sending her invoice and 30% request through Zelle: "Send me your account detail "
Email 6 after telling her I sent her the link for bank transfer: "Send me your bank details "
Email 7 after telling her to check her spam folder: "No i dont have spam "
Email 8 after explaining her I sent her a link through my banking portal: "No sorry i didn't got it"
Email 9 after sending again a link through Zelle: "What is zelle .. You cannot provide your account details ?"

Then I wrote this: Zelle is the system our bank use for wire transfers to and from our bank accounts. Since we are a company, the translators don't have direct access to the accounts numbers. this is to prevent fraud from scammers who pretend to be initiating a new business with us and setting up new client files.
We give the client information to the bank and the bank manages the transfer. This way, the employees don't see the accounts numbers and no fraud nor error can be made.

And her answer was: I don't think you are serious ... Why is purpose you cannot give me your account details to transfer the funds

The identity this scammer uses is
Heaven Sangster
1834 S Ridge Dr, Valrico, FL 33594
Heaven Sangster [email protected]

[Edited at 2020-09-09 20:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-09 20:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-09 21:00 GMT]
Collapse

Xavier Lecomte

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
I would have stopped after the third e-mail exchange Sep 10, 2020

You realized this was a scam from the start. The scamster must have been determined to succeed and persisted. You dodged a bullet!

Joe France

Karen Zaragoza
Karen Zaragoza
Local time: 04:49
SITE STAFF
Request for complete correspondence with the full headers Sep 10, 2020

Dear Sophie,

To investigate further and take appropriate action, could you please also provide a copy of the complete message you received together with the full headers?

If you are unsure how to obtain these headers, you will find a handy description here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22454?hl=en

Here is an example of a complete header:

Received: from pogo.proz.com ([66.220.3.122])
by megaman.proz.com with esmtp (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))
id 1CFvpY-00050F-00
for ; Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:34:48 +0000
Received: from mail by pogo.proz.com with local (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))
id 1CFvpH-0002AS-00
for ; Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:34:31 +0000

If you would like, please just submit a support request with the information attached, http://www.proz.com/support . Once you have the full correspondence, please copy and paste it in a plain text file, save it with the extension .eml or .msg and attach the file in your support request, or email me the information at [email protected] . Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Karen Zaragoza
ProZ.com Staff

Yolanda Broad

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sophie Sep 10, 2020

The house on that address is (was?) vacant and listed for sale: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/fl/valrico/1834-s-ridge-dr/pid_37873993/

Sophie Slonka
Sophie Slonka
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I also did some research while playing with her Sep 10, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

The house on that address is (was?) vacant and listed for sale: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/fl/valrico/1834-s-ridge-dr/pid_37873993/

She claimed being in Florida, but the computers IP addresses she used are in Louisiana. So I did a quick search, the last name, phone number and address didn't match, this is were it confirmed my first impression that it was a scammer.

Xavier Lecomte
Xavier Lecomte  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
Member (2020)
English
+ ...
I had the same scam with the same account! Sep 10, 2020

I did provide my payment wire information and she made a false unemployment insurance claim with the Texas UNemployment agency, then asked to be send back part of the money.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 15:49
English to Russian
+ ...
OMG Sep 10, 2020

My gmail address does not stop me from 6-digit 1099s but if ***flybean*** is not enough to alert, what is?!?!?!?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer Heaven Sangster "[email protected]"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »