MultiTerm 2009: Term search does not find terms
Thread poster: Feirefiz
Jul 13, 2012

I've been working with MultiTerm 2009 quite a while now and am experiencing this problem for the first time:

When I try to use the search function to search for terms that I know are in the termbase (and even ones I can see in the list on the left-hand side) nothing at all seems to happen. I've tried normal, fuzzy and full text search, but none of them brings up any of the terms I tried to find.

I can scroll down using the word list with the entries to find the w
... See more
I've been working with MultiTerm 2009 quite a while now and am experiencing this problem for the first time:

When I try to use the search function to search for terms that I know are in the termbase (and even ones I can see in the list on the left-hand side) nothing at all seems to happen. I've tried normal, fuzzy and full text search, but none of them brings up any of the terms I tried to find.

I can scroll down using the word list with the entries to find the word, but with the number of entries I have that's not a long-term solution.

I've tried restarting the program and even my computer, but that did not solve the problem, and I don't remember having done anything special before the problem occurred except changing the order of some of the fields in my termbase definition.

Any ideas what I might have done to deactivate the search function? To be on the safe side I'm assuming that the problem resulted from something I've done rather than MultiTerm's own initiative.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:58
Danish to English
+ ...
Have you selected the right languages? Jul 14, 2012

I've sometimes made the mistake of setting the wrong source and target languages for my search and that causes trouble (i.e. forgetting to set them 'back' to my mots common choice for searches). Just wondered whether this might be your problem. Sorry if this sounds too simple, but it has resolved problems before.

Feirefiz
Feirefiz
TOPIC STARTER
Have correctly selected the language(s) Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for checking -- and yes, I have selected the correct languages in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. There is one more thing I noticed: the tabs for swicthing from "browse" to other options at the bottom of the list of terms on the left are gone too. Does this by any chance ring a bell with anyone?

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@Feirefiz, Jul 16, 2012

Hi,

from the last time your MT has worked well, which Trados applications have you started?

Feirefiz
Feirefiz
TOPIC STARTER
MultTerm 2009: Term search does not find terms Jul 16, 2012

Hi Mike,

I think when I used MultiTerm the last time without problems I had only started MutliTerm -- but I might have been using Studio as well, and I've probably used Studio in between as well. I don't quite remember though as I'm using multiple programs multiple times on most days.

Why are you asking?

I'm afraid this reply is going to appear as a new post though I intended it to be a reply to Mike's response to my original questions.

[Edite
... See more
Hi Mike,

I think when I used MultiTerm the last time without problems I had only started MutliTerm -- but I might have been using Studio as well, and I've probably used Studio in between as well. I don't quite remember though as I'm using multiple programs multiple times on most days.

Why are you asking?

I'm afraid this reply is going to appear as a new post though I intended it to be a reply to Mike's response to my original questions.

[Edited at 2012-07-16 13:37 GMT]
Collapse

Feirefiz
Feirefiz
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jul 17, 2012

It's almost too embarrassing to state the solution to my problem here.

Somehow the problem was that the hitlist view had been disabled -- how this happened I do not know as I don't remember changing anything about my view settings. Simply choosing "hitlist" from the "view" menu did the trick. However, the left column in the term view is still not being displayed the way it used to.

I also find it counterintuitive that the search does not appear to find any hits if the h
... See more
It's almost too embarrassing to state the solution to my problem here.

Somehow the problem was that the hitlist view had been disabled -- how this happened I do not know as I don't remember changing anything about my view settings. Simply choosing "hitlist" from the "view" menu did the trick. However, the left column in the term view is still not being displayed the way it used to.

I also find it counterintuitive that the search does not appear to find any hits if the hitlist view isn't active. It really seemed as if the search function itself didn't work anymore at all.

Hope this entry will help someone with the same problem in the future.
Collapse

Jutta Poschmann
Jutta Poschmann
France
French to German
+ ...
It did help me today, thanks for sharing! Feb 26, 2013

You're not the only one to experience this problem, I'm glad you shared the answer although you thought it was embarrassing!

rabbit61
rabbit61
English to Hungarian
Thanks! Mar 28, 2014

It helped me, too. Thanks a lot.

Thu Huong Trinh
Thu Huong Trinh
Spain
Spanish to Vietnamese
+ ...
It did help me May 22, 2019

It helped me too, though I am with Multiterm 2014. 1001 thanks!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2009: Term search does not find terms

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »