Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
How to hide usage of machine translation in Trados Studio 2009.
Thread poster: europeanPRO
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Underhand Oct 28, 2020

If it’s just a harmless tool and the end-product is sound, why not be upfront about it and let the results speak for themselves?

Stepan Konev
Christine Andersen

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Local time: 09:51
Member (2016)
German to French
A quick answer Oct 28, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Yolande Hivart wrote:
In the end I prefer post editing

So you don't accept MT as a translator's tool but you accept PEMT tasks? It sounds weird to me. I can paste MT myself. Why should I accept such tasks for a reduced rate that I could do myself? I don't.
MT is just a tool. Like all other tools, you have to know how to use it in a professional way. If you don't use a hummer correctly, most probably you will get hurt. The same applies to MT. If you can't use it, it will harm you for sure. Then why should I avoid using a helping tool provided that I know how to do it safely? I don't use MT when I am directly instructed by client to refrain from using it. And they can easily vet it. However, some clients do not care how I deliver the result and what tools. Some of them even asked me what MT I prefer (either Google or DeepL or else). Furthermore, there are still some translators who believe CAT tools have something to do with MT. This is called just a different level of proficiency and a different approach.
Your PC, mouse, keyboard, and monitor are all tools. You don't hide the fact that you use them, do you. To summarize the above: if you can use MT in a professional way, you benefit from using it to the benefit of your client too; if you cannot use MT in a professional way, clients do it for you and you accept PEMT tasks. That's it.

There is a basic difference.
This is a different set of clients.
The client that uses MT knows he will get a MT quality and does not request from me to make it like human translation. I do not get such an headache like TM. I had good and bad MT to correct, both were less trouble than work with bad TM.
The client that wants a human translation and pays full of it does not get MT.
It would be basic business suicide to use MT into a market that asks for a creative translation. You can take 10 years to build a reputation, it may takes you one MT to ruin what you have built so far - this is not incompetence but a market decision.
The worst case in my experience was when I was to fit into a text that was 98% per cent pretranslated and I had to find out where the machine had made a mistake. And was only paid for the remaining 2%.

However when I says I do not have memo Q, I do not take a translation that expressly asked for memo Q and ask around the forums how to pass a memo q translation to be processed in trados and make it look like it had been done into memo q.
To summarize the question, if you are happy about using MT then it is not an issue that trados marks it as MT and i do not see the problem being asked into this forum.

Just be honest about it and do not pretend to fish in other's ponds.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:51
English to Russian
Misunderstanding of CAT and MT tools Oct 28, 2020

Yolande Hivart wrote:
The client that uses MT knows he will get a MT quality...
You can take 10 years to build a reputation, it may takes you one MT to ruin...

Your mistake is that you associate MT with poor quality by default. MT is not a synonym for 'low quality'. Old school translators who are reluctant to use CAT tools suggest a similar argument against using CAT tools—they say CAT tools slow their work down. MT is exactly the same story.
The quality of the end product (translation) depends on how you use but not on whether you use MT.

Jorge Payan
Christine Andersen
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Angie Garbarino
Felipe Gútiez Velasco

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
This is not my experience Oct 28, 2020

Yolande Hivart wrote:
The client that uses MT knows he will get a MT quality and does not request from me to make it like human translation.

At least those agencies I know and want to use post editing of machine translated text expect the same quality as if machine translation was not used. As I've already mentioned, I indicate to them that I expect to be paid the normal rate and not a reduced rate because machine translation has been used.

Some agencies have different levels of post editing: a thorough editing where the end result should be of the same quality of normal translation. That means unidiomatic expressions should be removed for instance.
Then they may ask for a lower quality post editing, where the idea is not to get a perfect translation, but a translation that is acceptable and does not have too glaring mistakes. In this instance a lower rate could be acceptable to me, but I prefer to avoid such tasks in the first place, not least since you as a translator risk becoming used to unidiomatic expressions because you are post editing them all the time. This would mean that your normal translations would suffer in quality.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Sorry, not so harmless a tool Oct 28, 2020

Chris S wrote:
If it’s just a harmless tool and the end-product is sound, why not be upfront about it and let the results speak for themselves?

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but to me machine translation is not a harmless tool, since it may influence the quality of my translations.

Florence Bremond
Felipe Gútiez Velasco

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Remove the AT/NMT marks from Trados Studio quickly and easily Sep 7, 2021

This is to reply to the very original question.
You can use this special tool called Bohemicus to remove the AT/NMT marks from the Trados Studio, all versions.
See video presentation here:
https://youtu.be/RupL4BuC8rY

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Is this a marketing posting? Sep 8, 2021

Shouldn't you have mentioned that you are the developer and that this is not a free program?

Sandra

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
Eric Azevedo

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Should people use this forum for marketing purposes? Sep 8, 2021

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:
Shouldn't you have mentioned that you are the developer and that this is not a free program?

Sandra

Agreed. I feel it is not in line with the idea of this forum to use it for marketing purposes.
Roy

Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:51
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
FREE Sdlxliff files anonymiser from the very RWS Sep 8, 2021

Quite useful, and it works on several files at once. I have used for some months already.

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/trados-batch-anonymizer/1072/

[Edited at 2021-09-08 17:43 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:51
English to French
+ ...
GT4T how to Sep 11, 2021

europeanPRO wrote:

Hi, I am translating a text with a lot of numbers and formating and at these context I find very useful to use machine translation like Google. Thanks to Trados Studio it is not a problem at all, but I will send that working file to my client and I would not like that he/she sees near the translated segment letter AT (automatic translation). What can I do about it? Even after I retype the translation, those letters AT are still near the source segment...

As Michael and Dallas mentioned the simplest and best way to achieve this is by using the function in Gt4T for this.
It works with RWS studio sdlxliff and Wordfast Pro 6 txlf
I made a quick video about it a while back:
https://youtu.be/PYXu0oQ-dp0
(video also available in french and my broken spanish)
Hope this is useful.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I wonder Sep 12, 2021

why Dallas can promote his product here and nobody complain, but the same is forbidden for others? I am not interested either in GT4T or Bohemicus, but just curious. Everyone readily praise one product and suppress the other. Nice.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Do you know that Dallas is the developer of GT4T? Sep 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
why Dallas can promote his product here and nobody complain, but the same is forbidden for others? I am not interested either in GT4T or Bohemicus, but just curious. Everyone readily praise one product and suppress the other. Nice.

I think the simple answer is that GT4T is not the product belonging to Dallas, and that we are quite a few translators who use the product and are quite happy with it.

Roy

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:51
English to French
+ ...
Keep learning Sep 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Quick comment on this: I've been made aware of Bohemicus recently and my intention is to give it a good try when time allows. GT4T is a piece of software that has reached maturity in my opinion.
Another tool I have my eyes on to try is Transtools.net especially for cleaning unwanted tags in files converted from html or pdf. I'll also be trying tmxeditor by maxprograms.com. That'll keep me busy for a while. If some of these really stand out to me, I'll add a video to my pipeline (still have some more to make).

So, I find that forums are great for learning, you get to discover tools others have been using and sharing your own experience with those you like. It's all about finding the right fit for you.

So, I'm happy to keep learning!

Felipe Gútiez Velasco

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Double standard Sep 12, 2021

Philippe Locquet wrote:
I've been made aware of Bohemicus recently...
I don't mean you personally. Actually I appreciate you for the videos you make from time to time. I find them useful. But it's not about you. There is a whole dedicated thread for GT4T.

Roy Oestensen wrote:
GT4T is not the product belonging to Dallas
Oh, really? Then why did he give me the trial license key and emailed me as a GT4T developer?
2021-09-12_194820
Actually, I am not interested in those products because I use my favorite QTranslate. And I don't mind promoting/praising/criticizing apps in general. But the double standard approach seems odd to me.

[Edited at 2021-09-12 22:51 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Jorge Payan

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
No double standard Sep 13, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
Roy Oestensen wrote:
GT4T is not the product belonging to Dallas
Oh, really? Then why did he give me the trial license key and emailed me as a GT4T developer?
2021-09-12_194820

Actually, I am not interested in those products because I use my favourite QTranslate. And I don't mind promoting/praising/criticizing apps in general. But the double standard approach seems odd to me.

[Edited at 2021-09-12 22:51 GMT]

I have no problem with translators recommending products to each other that we have good experience with and which can be of benefit to others. It's a totally different matter to use this forum for marketing one's own products. I cannot see the double standard here. As other say, at least one should as a minimum be open about it.

Roy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to hide usage of machine translation in Trados Studio 2009.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »