Final Draft files in Trados 2011
Շարքի հրապարակողը: Lucy Williams

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Իսպանիա
Local time: 19:43
Անդամ (2009)
իսպաներենից անգլերեն
Jan 22, 2014

Has anybody used Final Draft (screenwriting) files in Trados 2011?

Is it relatively straightforward? I've just been asked by my main client if I can use Final Draft but I'm not sure if it will work with Trados and I need to use my exisiting TMs.

Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Անդամ (1970)
անգլերեն
I reckon so... Jan 23, 2014

... based on some quick tests. I downloaded a trial of Final Draft and the files save as *.FDX files. But these seem to be simple xml files, and the quick tests I did were quite simple to handle with a custom xml... I can send it to you if you want to test it?

Looking at the help it also seems possible to export to RTF and a few other formats, but I think the XML based FDX is going to be the best format to use.

Maybe ask your client for a couple of test files and have
... See more
... based on some quick tests. I downloaded a trial of Final Draft and the files save as *.FDX files. But these seem to be simple xml files, and the quick tests I did were quite simple to handle with a custom xml... I can send it to you if you want to test it?

Looking at the help it also seems possible to export to RTF and a few other formats, but I think the XML based FDX is going to be the best format to use.

Maybe ask your client for a couple of test files and have a go?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com
Collapse

Իսպանիա
Անդամ (2009)
իսպաներենից անգլերեն
TOPIC STARTER
Practice files Jan 25, 2014

Thanks Paul,

I've asked the client to send me some files so I can try your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.

Lucy

Իսպանիա
Անդամ (2009)
իսպաներենից անգլերեն
TOPIC STARTER
FDX and XML files Jan 28, 2014

Hi Paul,

I've got a test file in Final Draft from the client. What do you think the best thing to do is, do I save it as a xml file and then open it that way in Trados? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks

Lucy

SDL Community  Identity Verified
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Անդամ (1970)
անգլերեն
It’s already XML.. Jan 28, 2014

Hi Lucy,

The fdx file is xml already, but is just called fdx. So if you create a new xml filetype in Studio and tell it to use the fdx extension that all will be well. I have some settings for this I created as a quick test so can provide this to you if you like or you’re unsure of what to do?

Regards

Paul

Իսպանիա
Անդամ (2009)
իսպաներենից անգլերեն
TOPIC STARTER
Yes please Jan 28, 2014

That would be great Paul, if it's not too much trouble.

Kallie Translation
Միացյալ Նահանգներ
Անդամ (2017)
անգլերենից ֆրանսերեն
+ ...
Final draft workaround? Jun 4

Hi! Bumping this thread even though it's super old. Using Studio 2019, can anyone explain how to create a new xml file type to use the fax extension? I'm not having any luck. Thanks!

Wendy Gosselin  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
իսպաներենից անգլերեն
+ ...
Importing an FDX file in Studio 2019 Aug 13

So I managed to do this successfully but simply clicking on the file name and adding .XML at the end. Windows warned me the program might be unusable if I did this but I went ahead and created a project in Studio with it and--hurray! Studio lifted the file with no problem. Unfortunately, the segments were split horribly (in some cases, a single word was a single segment) so I ultimately got the script-writing client to export the FDX to RTF and then worked from that file.
Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Final Draft files in Trados 2011

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Բառերի որոնում
  • Պատվերներ
  • Ֆորումներ
  • Multiple search