Anne Gaujard-Scott
Anne Gaujard-Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:17
Member (2016)
English to French
Jun 14, 2019

Hi everyone,

I am technologically challenged and I need your help!

A new client sent me the text to be translated both as an rtf and as an xlf file. I have never worked on either formats before as my clients usually send me Word, pdf or xliff files.

I have used the xlf file (bilingual table of segments) in Trados Studio 2015. I didn't have any problem importing the file into Trados and translating it, but somehow I can't deliver it back to the client in xlf
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am technologically challenged and I need your help!

A new client sent me the text to be translated both as an rtf and as an xlf file. I have never worked on either formats before as my clients usually send me Word, pdf or xliff files.

I have used the xlf file (bilingual table of segments) in Trados Studio 2015. I didn't have any problem importing the file into Trados and translating it, but somehow I can't deliver it back to the client in xlf. I can only save it as an xliff but the client does not use Trados. I also tried to "save target as" an xlf but the client says it gives her an empty file.

It might be pretty basic stuff but I am not very good at the technological side of translating! Can anyone help please?
Collapse

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:17
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
RTF Jun 14, 2019

Hi Anne,
Just try to translate the RTF file. Use the same TM and it will pre-translate the file, than you can "Save the source as".
Good luck

Anne Gaujard-Scott
France
Member (2016)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Use the rtf rather than the xlf? Jun 14, 2019

Thank you for your help, Amnon.
I ended up copy-pasting my translation from Trados onto the rtf file. It was fairly painless, the only annoying thing was that I had to add all the placeables manually.
So mission accomplished, but I am still working on a more efficient strategy for next time!

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:17
English to Czech
+ ...
Use Generate Target command Jun 16, 2019

Anne, next time you work with a xlf file, click on Batch Tasks and select "Generate Target Translations" option. That will save the fine in the same format as the file you originally "loaded" into Trados.

Anne Gaujard-Scott
France
Member (2016)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Noted! Jun 20, 2019

Thank you for this piece of advice, Anna, I will give it a try.
Really I should invest some time in properly training myself with Trados! I much prefer other simpler softwares but I assume it could save me a lot of time if I actually knew how to use it properly!

lundeghe Terence Keming
lundeghe Terence Keming
Cameroon
French to English
I need help too Jun 23, 2019

I created file in trados 2017 and shared with many translators. The translators have returned their work and I am unable to merge all the translations into 1 file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with xlf file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »