Barbara Micheletto
Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Local time: 03:17
Member (2005)
Russian to Italian
+ ...
I recently lost a folder (twice in a row on the same day) Jul 31, 2019

I must admit I was very, very tired... I was copying a folder from my desktop PC to a pen drive (to make a backup) and inadvertently clicked on the button "Delete" instead of clicking on the button "Copy to". Then this message was displayed: "File name too long for the bin, do you want to continue?" or something like that (my interface is in Italian, therefore I can't tell how this question is worded in English), I clicked on "Yes" and then... the folder was gone forever and for good.
At t
... See more
I must admit I was very, very tired... I was copying a folder from my desktop PC to a pen drive (to make a backup) and inadvertently clicked on the button "Delete" instead of clicking on the button "Copy to". Then this message was displayed: "File name too long for the bin, do you want to continue?" or something like that (my interface is in Italian, therefore I can't tell how this question is worded in English), I clicked on "Yes" and then... the folder was gone forever and for good.
At the moment I didn't realize what I had done and that it was my fault, I started to panick and decided to phone my PC technician. They told me that the PC could have some virus which the antivirus software is not able to detect, to switch it off and not to use it as this virus could spread to other devices on the same net, then suggested me to take the PC to them so that they could have look and search for this virus. I turned off my PC and started to work on my laptop.
Could you believe that? Incredible as it may seem, at the end of my work day I made the same mistake on my laptop (deleting the new folder I had created, etc.), therefore I was able to understand what the original problem had been.
Just to let you know that may be you inadvertently made the same mistake that I did, or that on you PC could reside that virus about which my technician told me.
I go on thinking that a weird thing happened to me, and that I must have been very, very tired (if not worn out). I was able to create that new folder anew as I had a backup of some files on a pen drive, but other files were missing. I hope you will be able to find a solution.

Barbara

[Modificato alle 2019-07-31 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

Iris Schmerda
Iris Schmerda  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
French to German
+ ...
Hope you somehow sorted it out … Aug 1, 2019

I feel really sorry for you, as this must be totally frustrating.
Did you find something out in the meantime?
Several years ago I had a situation like that, but fortunately lost only the work of about one day. For several months I had been working for an agency that gave access to Wordfast and Trados, so it must have been one of those two. And suddenly a file had somehow disappeared … As I had not saved it elsewhere, it had to be started again. Never really understood what had hap
... See more
I feel really sorry for you, as this must be totally frustrating.
Did you find something out in the meantime?
Several years ago I had a situation like that, but fortunately lost only the work of about one day. For several months I had been working for an agency that gave access to Wordfast and Trados, so it must have been one of those two. And suddenly a file had somehow disappeared … As I had not saved it elsewhere, it had to be started again. Never really understood what had happened, though.
Collapse

T o b i a s
T o b i a s
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Project view Aug 2, 2019

Hi Sylvia,

I've glossed through this thread and perhaps not absorbed all the details. However, you do say you don't have a strong grasp of where your Trados files are stored.

Personally, Trados loses my projects on a regular basis (Projects View). But lo and behold, they are always right there in my default Trados projects folder. They are simply not 'visible' or 'listed' under Trados Project View.

The first thing to do is to navigate the directory *using
... See more
Hi Sylvia,

I've glossed through this thread and perhaps not absorbed all the details. However, you do say you don't have a strong grasp of where your Trados files are stored.

Personally, Trados loses my projects on a regular basis (Projects View). But lo and behold, they are always right there in my default Trados projects folder. They are simply not 'visible' or 'listed' under Trados Project View.

The first thing to do is to navigate the directory *using Windows file explorer* to see if you can find your project. You can also navigate using the Command prompt. I think you will find all of your files. I am only stating the obvious because you seem to think that just because you don't see your project under project view, they are lost.

[Edited at 2019-08-02 00:29 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Versioning Aug 2, 2019

Silvia Xalabarde wrote:

I am super panicked about having lost about a month's worth of work.

To avoid this, you can place your CAT related folders in your Dropbox, which offers versioning (history):

https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/files-folders/restore-delete/recover-older-versions

Even when a client withdraws any files, you can still restore them via Dropbox.

Frank van Overveld

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes Aug 2, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Silvia Xalabarde wrote:

I am super panicked about having lost about a month's worth of work.

To avoid this, you can place your CAT related folders in your Dropbox, which offers versioning (history):

https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/files-folders/restore-delete/recover-older-versions

Even when a client withdraws any files, you can still restore them via Dropbox.

I do this in combination with what has already been mentioned.

Store your company files on dropbox/box/google drive. Create a separate folder for studio project files on dropbox/box/google drive as well.

Define all those folders as exceptions in your windows security/malwarebytes/other security software so no files will be deleted without notice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge project missing! Please help!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »