Thread poster: Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Canada
Local time: 01:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 28, 2019

I am super panicked about having lost about a month's worth of work. Please help! I'm providing quite a few details as I´m quite inexperienced with server projects and don't know what's important, please bear with me.

About a month ago, I got 3 huge translation packages from a German company, which were revisions of an automatically translated file. It seems like it was partly managed over a server, as I had to sign in with my Windows ID to access it in the first place; no special
... See more
I am super panicked about having lost about a month's worth of work. Please help! I'm providing quite a few details as I´m quite inexperienced with server projects and don't know what's important, please bear with me.

About a month ago, I got 3 huge translation packages from a German company, which were revisions of an automatically translated file. It seems like it was partly managed over a server, as I had to sign in with my Windows ID to access it in the first place; no special ID was given. I had a bit of trouble accessing it, as it said some stuff about "not enough permissions" and I thought I might need to ask the client for a password, but in the end, it did let me in, and I could work on the projects. I did not change any of the package settings, left everything exactly as it was, so the location of the files, memory used, update or not update memory, everything was left as it was (I don't know what those exact settings were).

For an entire month, it was visible in my Projects View in Trados, I was able to access the three files, confirm segments as normal, and I often pressed the Save button to make sure I wouldn't lose my work (now I wonder where the hell it was saving to!). During this time, I opened and closed Trados several times, and the projects were always there. Maybe because they were huge files, SDL Trados did crash quite a few times, and I would lose a few segments, but I was always able to repopulate them using the memory that was running.

On Friday evening, I had translated the three packages to 100% and even considered sending them to the client, but decided I wanted to review the translations a bit more over the weekend, which turned out to be a HUGE mistake.

Saturday morning, I was working on a different translation on SDL Trados. From what I remember, both windows were open for a while and I was ocassionally picking at the large German project and changing little things. Then suddenly, I couldn't find the second window anymore. There was a bit of a confusion and I wasn´t sure if it had crashed or what. I re-opened Trados, went to my Projects view, sure that I'd find it there, and the three German projects were simply gone. It was as if they'd never existed. A bit of panic but I've had situations like this with Trados before, and always found the files somewhere in my computer. Not this time. I searched using the Start button, then the program Searcheverything. I could find the original download. Again, it wanted me to sign in, said I didn't have enough permissions, kept bringing up the identification thing, and eventually a message popped up saying: "The translation provider ("Name") could not be opened and has been disabled."

Despite the message, it did allow me to click on the Sdlxliff file and open it, but unfortunately it was just the same as when I first downloaded it: containing only the automatic translation (which was there from the start). None of my work was there, and the memory that was on automatically didn't find any matches.

I have since opened everything even remotely connected with these three packages, and only ever found untranslated (automatic translation) files. I downloaded a recovery program called IObit Undelete and did a search to try and see if I could find something useful: some of the files it recovered were not openable, some were also just the automatic translation without my work. The deadline for this translation is tomorrow and there is no way I can even get started re-doing the whole thing. As I don´t know too much about SDL Trados and how it works with servers, these are the questions I have at this point:

Where is it likely that the files would have been stored? Like, where was it saving when I pressed the Save button every time? On my computer? Online? If the changes were getting stored on my computer, is it possible for them to just disappear without a trace so that only the original files (without any work) are available? What kind of thing could cause this to happen? I have SDL Trados 2019 and an almost new and very good quality computer. Is this something that can just happen? In five years using Trados, I have never had a loss of data like this.

I also wonder how likely is it that the people who run the server have a copy of my work somehow. Is this normal with these kind of projects? Is there anything else on my computer that I could try? Do you know someone who is an expert on this kind of thing who could help me remotely? I really am super worried and help from someone who understands how SDL Trados works better than me. Many thanks for reading the whole huge post. I really hope I can find a solution, fingers crossed.

[Edited at 2019-07-28 13:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-28 20:55 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:06
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check C:\FamilyDocuments\(user)\Studio 2019\Projects - or whatever version you use. Jul 28, 2019

One other way would be to open Windows Explorer and search for "sdlxliff" to see if you can recover the project.

Personally I always create a "Studio" folder in a project folder I create in Windows Explorer to be sure I know where my projects go. I find that safer than having Studio decide for itself where the projects should be saved. In addition I then can save it on an external USB station so that I can easily work on the same project from a different machine.

Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looked everywhere! Jul 28, 2019

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I've really looked EVERYWHERE on my computer, including using special programs and have only found the untranslated files. My only hope is that it is located elsewhere on a server...

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
That's another reason why I prefer offline Jul 28, 2019

Silvia, it's often the case with remote/cloud/mapped drives, let alone archives and virtual machines. However, even if it was a server-based project, you still should have a prepared TM to re-translate the job.

Adam Warren

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Silvia Jul 28, 2019

Silvia Xalabarde wrote:
Maybe because they were huge files, SDL Trados did crash quite a few times, and I would lose a few segments, but I was always able to repopulate them using the memory that was running.

And where is the TM? Are you able to access it?

Also, are you sure that in the Projects view the setting is "Show ALL projects"?

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Possible clue to the whereabouts Jul 28, 2019

If you haven't already done so, it may be worth checking the 'Project settings' menu of, I think, the 'Files' or 'Edit' view (left hand side) , to discover the directory to which the file is saved. It's worth gathering as much information as you can about this project. Another point is, in the 'Files' view, see whether the work file or files are displayed. I hope I'm not teaching people to suck raw eggs.

Particularly with large assignments, it's wise to make frequent target-format s
... See more
If you haven't already done so, it may be worth checking the 'Project settings' menu of, I think, the 'Files' or 'Edit' view (left hand side) , to discover the directory to which the file is saved. It's worth gathering as much information as you can about this project. Another point is, in the 'Files' view, see whether the work file or files are displayed. I hope I'm not teaching people to suck raw eggs.

Particularly with large assignments, it's wise to make frequent target-format saves and SDLXLIFF saves, via the 'File' tab (at the top, not the side). I've found server-based TMs temperamental.

Since it is a question of locating the right file, I hope you succeed in retrieving the project. If the worst comes to the worst, honesty is the best policy, emphasising of course the uncertainty in handling the server link.

With very best wishes.
Collapse

Pluma Translations

Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not looking good... Jul 28, 2019

Well, in an awful twist it seems a bunch of other unrelated projects are also gone... Not that I needed them, I had already exported and sent them, but so strange and I guess not a server problem after all (which I had hoped). The Export Word files are there to prove that at some point they had been through Trados, but you wouldn´t know otherwise, no trace of the SDLXliff files, the projects, nothing at all... About twenty projects disappeared in all, downloaded special programs that even searc... See more
Well, in an awful twist it seems a bunch of other unrelated projects are also gone... Not that I needed them, I had already exported and sent them, but so strange and I guess not a server problem after all (which I had hoped). The Export Word files are there to prove that at some point they had been through Trados, but you wouldn´t know otherwise, no trace of the SDLXliff files, the projects, nothing at all... About twenty projects disappeared in all, downloaded special programs that even search for specific words inside a file and not just the title... gone and gone. I feel very stupid for not having created some kind of backup.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One last thing... Jul 29, 2019

Silvia Xalabarde wrote:
About twenty projects disappeared in all...

Could it be that your antivirus program got updated, and then thought that these files had viruses in them, and helpfully deleted them? This is something I recently encountered -- perfectly good files automatically deleted by the antivirus program (no questions asked), though fortunately one can often see which files were deleted, and sometimes restore them, by going to the antivirus program's settings panel.

Pluma Translations
Diana Obermeyer

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What does the client say? Jul 29, 2019

Silvia Xalabarde wrote:
Then suddenly, I couldn't find the second window anymore. There was a bit of a confusion and I wasn´t sure if it had crashed or what. I re-opened Trados, went to my Projects view, sure that I'd find it there, and the three German projects were simply gone. It was as if they'd never existed. ... I could find the original download. Again, it wanted me to sign in, said I didn't have enough permissions, kept bringing up the identification thing, and eventually a message popped up saying: "The translation provider ("Name") could not be opened and has been disabled."

I have participated in a number of projects (not specifically Trados, though) where the projects are linked to a server (or: on a server) and as soon as I confirm all segments, the project is considered "completed" by the server, and then I lose my access to it. In other similar projects, I'm able to access all segments for a while, until the client realises that all segments are "confirmed" (or: I tell them I'm finished), and from that point onwards I no longer have access to the project.

So: could it be that Trados had been sending confirmed segments to the client all along, and when the client saw that you were finished, they "closed" the project on their side?

What does the client say about all this? I'm sure you're going to have to explain this to them sooner rather than later.

I suggest you post your question on the official Trados forums, where Trados employees lurk:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f

Adam Lankamer
Diana Obermeyer

Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Something weird like that must have happened... Jul 29, 2019

I have never encountered files so thoroughly deleted, so I am guessing that in some way, it was a security feature that did it. Whether from SDL Trados or something else inside my computer, I don't know. I checked the antivirus and it reckons it hasn't gone through a security update since the 22nd of July, so before this happened. Also, apparently it didn't find any threats at that time.

But I do think that only some security feature gone wrong could explain this sudden and complet
... See more
I have never encountered files so thoroughly deleted, so I am guessing that in some way, it was a security feature that did it. Whether from SDL Trados or something else inside my computer, I don't know. I checked the antivirus and it reckons it hasn't gone through a security update since the 22nd of July, so before this happened. Also, apparently it didn't find any threats at that time.

But I do think that only some security feature gone wrong could explain this sudden and complete disappearance. Under normal circumstances, there's always traces of the files somewhere in your computer, different versions, different saves... they might not be easily accessible but they're there. But I can imagine that some very helpful security thing could send your files into the nothingness forever. I had to tell the client this morning, feel totally shitty about it and really let down by SDL Trados. Lesson learned: always back up your work.
Collapse

Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting point... Jul 29, 2019

Yes, it's almost hard to believe that it happened at the 100% stage, when it could have happened any other time, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I had got to 100% the night before it happened (so it wasn't the second I hit 100%), and also, other unrelated projects are missing, so I'm not holding out much hope for this (although it would be great if it were true!). I did tell the agency that there is a small possibility that it's in their server right now, so hopefully they will lo... See more
Yes, it's almost hard to believe that it happened at the 100% stage, when it could have happened any other time, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I had got to 100% the night before it happened (so it wasn't the second I hit 100%), and also, other unrelated projects are missing, so I'm not holding out much hope for this (although it would be great if it were true!). I did tell the agency that there is a small possibility that it's in their server right now, so hopefully they will look into that.Collapse

Nathalie Fernández
Nathalie Fernández
Spain
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hope you will sort it out! Jul 29, 2019

Hi Silvia,

I've read all your posts here and on LinkedIn. It looks like a nightmare! I'm afraid I don't have any miraculous solution to your problem but really, really wish you the best of luck to solve this issue. Hopefully, the client will be able to find the files in their server...

Cheers!

Pluma Translations
Pluma Translations
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 29, 2019

Thank you, Nathalie. Just about the only good thing in this nightmare, which has easily been the biggest catastrophe in my entire career, has been the support of people here and on Linkedin. Two people even connected remotely to my computer to try and find the missing files. So far, nothing has worked, but it's nice to know that there are people out there who are so willing to help and support others.

Hans Lenting

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:06
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Windows issue? Jul 30, 2019

I haven't had this issue in Studio, but there have certainly been a few occasions when Windows has deleted files that I know for a fact that I created and saved, and certainly never deleted, yet they are nevertheless mysteriously gone.

Uncommanded deletion of files in Windows is known i
... See more
I haven't had this issue in Studio, but there have certainly been a few occasions when Windows has deleted files that I know for a fact that I created and saved, and certainly never deleted, yet they are nevertheless mysteriously gone.

Uncommanded deletion of files in Windows is known issue (see https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-explains-why-windows-10s-october-2018-update-was-deleting-peoples-files/)
so a Windows problem would be high on my list of suspects for something like this.
I have also had impatient PMs close out and kill my access a MemoQ server project before the deadline just because they saw it at 100%, but in Studio/GroupShare I don't think they can do that - at a minimum the checked out copy remains on your computer regardless of what happens on the server end.
Collapse

ahartje

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:06
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Undelete tool Jul 30, 2019

If the file was on your computer but somehow got accidentally deleted it may be recoverable using an undelete tool. Check out https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/deleted-recovery-software/free-undelete-tool-program.htm

Kevin Fulton

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge project missing! Please help!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »