Trados 2017 - various sentences in one translations unit
Thread poster: Natalia-Giovanna Pellegrino
Aug 2, 2019

Hello,
We use Trados 2017 and have a big review project. There are many sentences in one translation unit. Is it possible to change a rule or something, otherwise it is hard to do the concordance search.
Thank you for your help!

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Edit the segmentation rules Aug 2, 2019

Please check this link and tell us whether it helped:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/TM_View/Cre-Man_TM/LRG/How_to_Edit_a_Segmentation_Rule.htm

Natalia-Giovanna Pellegrino
Natalia-Giovanna Pellegrino
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 2, 2019

Thank you for your link. It is a review project and we got a package from the client. Can we change the rules of the segments under these circumstances?

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Not sure Aug 2, 2019

I am not really sure, because a project is first created with its specific segmentation rules. You could ask your client why the file was created this way, and whether they can re-arrange it themselves, but I guess this would be too much of a hassle.

I hope someone more knowledgeable will try to give a hand.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:37
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
This is one of the reasons I don't like to work in Studio Aug 3, 2019

Natalia-Giovanna Pellegrino wrote:
We use Trados 2017 and have a big review project. There are many sentences in one translation unit. Is it possible to change a rule or something, otherwise it is hard to do the concordance search.
Thank you for your help!

This is happening time and again with Studio jobs I find, and this is one important reason I prefer to work in Dejavu. It will split segments with multiple sentences into multiple parts, making it much easier to work with it.

Of course, as any changes done outside Studio are not marked when the project file again is opened in Studio, this is not really a satisfying solution in your case. I would think the best would be to show the client the problem and ask them to resegment the project so that it becomes nicer to work with. Explain that mamoth segments make it harder to notice mistakes and correct them.

Roy

Jorge Payan

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:37
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
A good idea, but Aug 3, 2019

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:
Please check this link and tell us whether it helped:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/TM_View/Cre-Man_TM/LRG/How_to_Edit_a_Segmentation_Rule.htm

Doesn't this only work if you get the source file and do the import yourself? If you receive a Studio package, the file is already segmented. Can you still resegment the project without a new import of the source file?

I would be very interested if it actually is possible to resegment a Studio project file, since I have similar problems as the thread starter, but for translation, not necessarily review jobs.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017 - various sentences in one translations unit

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »