Thao Tran
Vietnam
Local time: 16:23
Member (2017)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Aug 4, 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm currently having issues with 2017 Trados.

A week ago, I opened my Trados with all my my projects on the project list disappeared. When I re-opened the the project, I got the notification "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version."

I had to create a new project and started all over again.

Now this issue happened again. All of my projects disappeared again and I can't open them.

Have you ever had
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm currently having issues with 2017 Trados.

A week ago, I opened my Trados with all my my projects on the project list disappeared. When I re-opened the the project, I got the notification "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version."

I had to create a new project and started all over again.

Now this issue happened again. All of my projects disappeared again and I can't open them.

Have you ever had issue like this before?

SDL Support, can you help?

Thanks,
Thao
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:23
Member (2005)
French to English
Where is the Studio project file? Aug 4, 2019

I hope you have it on your hard disk. Ditto for the SDLXLIFF file(s) and the source files. If you have difficulty finding them, the now-improved Windows Explorer search tool can help you to do so. To keep track of projects, I use a translation workflow tool called Translation Office 3000. Using this, I have developed a project-specific folder set:
Management
Incoming
Reference material
Trados (where I house the individual project)
Work
Outgoing.

... See more
I hope you have it on your hard disk. Ditto for the SDLXLIFF file(s) and the source files. If you have difficulty finding them, the now-improved Windows Explorer search tool can help you to do so. To keep track of projects, I use a translation workflow tool called Translation Office 3000. Using this, I have developed a project-specific folder set:
Management
Incoming
Reference material
Trados (where I house the individual project)
Work
Outgoing.

You will also need to check the project-file location, on creating the project or using "Project settings" after creation.

If you find the project file, you may be able to create a new project using the existing one as a model, instead of creating it anew from scratch.

Another thing: your software may be missing a beat because the files are fragmented. Windows has a disk cleaning tool, and you may find other software with helpful additional capabilities.

Another thing to try is repair the Studio software. In Windows, select the settings option from the start scroll menu (I think it's Tableau de bord). In that menu select Programs and Features (programmes et fonctionnalités). In the window that opens, find SDL Studio, select it and right click, and select Repair (réparer). The software may prompt you to close certain programs.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu).

[Edited at 2019-08-04 19:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-08-04 19:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-08-04 19:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-08-04 19:22 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Warren
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Cause may be a corrupt project template Aug 4, 2019

Try this SDL knowledge base entry:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003417

Hope it helps.

Thao Tran
Thao Tran
Vietnam
Local time: 16:23
Member (2017)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Adam Aug 6, 2019

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll try to repair the Trados next time if I encounter this issue again.

I didn't have the time to respond to you sooner as I was busy finishing with my projects. I had to create a new project with the current files and TM. I didn't have to re-translate but I had to proofread multiple times before delivery.

2 days after I couldn't open my projects, I now COULD again. And I see that now my Trados has a f
... See more
Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll try to repair the Trados next time if I encounter this issue again.

I didn't have the time to respond to you sooner as I was busy finishing with my projects. I had to create a new project with the current files and TM. I didn't have to re-translate but I had to proofread multiple times before delivery.

2 days after I couldn't open my projects, I now COULD again. And I see that now my Trados has a few changes without my knowledge. I can no longer use CTRL + ENTER to confirm a segment, I'd have to press ALT + ADD. I really don't know what happened. I was thinking maybe all these troubles were created because Trados is updating their software???

At this moment of time, I can open all my projects. My problem has been solved. I really don't know how but I hope it won't happen again.

Regards,
Thao
Collapse

Adam Warren
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Key assignments in Studio Aug 7, 2019

First, from the (top row) "View" tab, you can access the current key assignments, which you can change.

Secondly, SDL has just announced a new service release for Studio 2019, of which all licensed users have been notified. Before installing this, it is worth scanning the related release notes, which include details of problems ("issues") addressed.

I hope this information may help.

With kind regards, AHW.

Thao Tran

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »