Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:28
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 16, 2020

My Studio 2019 was working so slowly, that I decided to upgrade my EN-NL TM to improve its performance (like I used to do way back with Trados 2007). It turned out that the TM doubled in size after the upgrade, and I ended up with an extra BAK-file.

If the original TM already slowed down Studio, what will this one do? In short, totally useless.

Could anybody please tell me what is the sense of this upgrading function, why does it almost double the content, and what is t
... See more
My Studio 2019 was working so slowly, that I decided to upgrade my EN-NL TM to improve its performance (like I used to do way back with Trados 2007). It turned out that the TM doubled in size after the upgrade, and I ended up with an extra BAK-file.

If the original TM already slowed down Studio, what will this one do? In short, totally useless.

Could anybody please tell me what is the sense of this upgrading function, why does it almost double the content, and what is the BAK-file for?

Sorry for these 'silly' questions, but I haven't got a clue.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Robert Jun 16, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
It turned out that the TM doubled in size after the upgrade, and I ended up with an extra BAC-file.

A larger file size does not necessarily mean that processing the file's content will be slower. For example, if an index is added to make searches faster, then the file will be larger but faster. As for the "BAC" file, can you unzip it or open it in a text editor?

This is what Mats Linder's Trados manual says about upgrading TMs:

upgrade trados tms

So, perhaps the "BAC" file is the backup of the TM (you'd have to rename its extension to SDLTM to get it back).

[Edited at 2020-06-16 11:17 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jun 16, 2020

BAC = BAK

Sorry for the error, I corrected it, and no I can't open it.

What about the bigger TM, I will try it out.

Thank you for your response.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading TM's

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »