Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2020

I've been using Trados 2019 for about one year and definitely have the basics down, but I have one nagging question. When I translate from Spanish > English (or in the reverse direction) and a noun and adjective are in a separate segment (i.e., garaje adicional), I need to translate the noun as if it were the adjective and the adjective as if it were the noun so that the translation is correct in the target document. Easy enough, but is there a way NOT to add this "translation" into the TM? I al... See more
I've been using Trados 2019 for about one year and definitely have the basics down, but I have one nagging question. When I translate from Spanish > English (or in the reverse direction) and a noun and adjective are in a separate segment (i.e., garaje adicional), I need to translate the noun as if it were the adjective and the adjective as if it were the noun so that the translation is correct in the target document. Easy enough, but is there a way NOT to add this "translation" into the TM? I always confirm each segment with control enter (I use Mac with Parallels running Windows 10).

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Salinero
Indio, California
Collapse

raisshahbaz4

Jesús Sánchez López
Jesús Sánchez López  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:27
German to Spanish
+ ...
Merge segments Jun 17, 2020

Hi Daniel,

You can actually select both segments and merge them, if this option is allowed for the project (select both segments on the segment number column, right-click in this same column and then select "merge segments"). This is a nice way to avoid incosistencies in your TM.

Mark Nathan
Sabrina Bruna
Daniel Salinero
Aline Amorim
MollyRose
raisshahbaz4
Geneviève von Levetzow

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:27
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Merge segments or reject signoff Jun 17, 2020

Hi,

If when setting up your project, you do NOT check the box "disable merging segments across paragraph", then you should be able to merge segments. Just right-click on the segment and the option should appear.

If you can't merge, then change the status of the segment to "Sign-off rejected". That should avoid it being added to the TM.

Kristina

Daniel Salinero
Aline Amorim
raisshahbaz4

Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank! Jun 18, 2020

Thank you, Jesús and Kristina. I love SDL Trados, but sometimes I think I need to get a Ph.D. in CAT to understands the many nuances!

raisshahbaz4

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
another option Jun 18, 2020

In cases where I cannot merge segments, I Edit Source. Then I copy (I don't remember if I could directly cut--I think I had to copy and paste, and then go back and remove what I had copied). Sometimes that leaves an entire blank TU, but that is ok; it doesn't mess up anything.

What I usually do, though, to avoid such scenarios, is to review my source document first with non-printing characters showing and make adjustments, such as removing carriage returns at the end of a line that
... See more
In cases where I cannot merge segments, I Edit Source. Then I copy (I don't remember if I could directly cut--I think I had to copy and paste, and then go back and remove what I had copied). Sometimes that leaves an entire blank TU, but that is ok; it doesn't mess up anything.

What I usually do, though, to avoid such scenarios, is to review my source document first with non-printing characters showing and make adjustments, such as removing carriage returns at the end of a line that is in the middle of a sentence. Then I import it into Trados (or MemoQ, which is what I currently use.)
Collapse

Daniel Salinero
Geneviève von Levetzow
Christine Andersen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie Question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »