Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:43
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 30, 2020

A client asked me to do a 10000 word job on Friday. Knowing I had another big job coming up the following week, I got started immediately and worked over the weekend to complete it as soon as I could. Anyway, I get about half of it done by Monday, when my client asks me to stop working, as the end client needed to review the files to be translated. My client asks me to send what I have done already, so I made a return package with the work I had completed and sent it.

There are seve
... See more
A client asked me to do a 10000 word job on Friday. Knowing I had another big job coming up the following week, I got started immediately and worked over the weekend to complete it as soon as I could. Anyway, I get about half of it done by Monday, when my client asks me to stop working, as the end client needed to review the files to be translated. My client asks me to send what I have done already, so I made a return package with the work I had completed and sent it.

There are several jobs coming in for this client and end client in a month, so to not get confused, I renamed the containing folder with "on hold" - and since doing that, I cannot find the work I did! The TM doesn't remember anything, I cannot open the return package I sent because I created it myself. It is as if it all is just in my imagination (except when I try to open the return package I sent to my client with half the job, I can see the wordcount and the percentage of the job that I have completed).

What can I do to retrieve my work, does anyone know, please? Where does it disappear to when you rename a folder (which I will never do again!).

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Go to the folder you have named "On hold" Jun 30, 2020

Ditte Duclert wrote:
There are several jobs coming in for this client and end client in a month, so to not get confused, I renamed the containing folder with "on hold" - and since doing that, I cannot find the work I did! The TM doesn't remember anything, I cannot open the return package I sent because I created it myself. It is as if it all is just in my imagination (except when I try to open the return package I sent to my client with half the job, I can see the wordcount and the percentage of the job that I have completed).

You don't mention exactly how you file your jobs. But I always create a Studio folder in the client folder, something like this:

/Client
./Project number
../Source
../References
../Studio

In the Studio folder you will find a project file with the extension .sdlproj
If you double click that file, the project should open in Studio again and you should be fine.

Hope this helps

[Edited at 2020-06-30 17:35 GMT]

expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ditte Jun 30, 2020

Ditte Duclert wrote:
Where does it disappear to when you rename a folder (which I will never do again!).

It gets removed from the list, that's all. In that renamed folder, there should be an SDLPROJ file. Double-click it.

Added: oh, wait, that's what Roy said.

[Edited at 2020-06-30 17:54 GMT]

Ditte Duclert
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is the thing - this time it is gone Jun 30, 2020

Thank you for you responses!

Usually, yes, I can just double click the project file in my folder - that has always worked in the past. But this time, no. (ETA: I click the proj file, and it opens an empty project in Trados).

It is just all gone. I organise Trados projects in folders like this: Client/year month/due date + end client if my client has different end clients. So the folder looks like Client/2020 June/3006 End client/ - where I have my Trados folders, usuall
... See more
Thank you for you responses!

Usually, yes, I can just double click the project file in my folder - that has always worked in the past. But this time, no. (ETA: I click the proj file, and it opens an empty project in Trados).

It is just all gone. I organise Trados projects in folders like this: Client/year month/due date + end client if my client has different end clients. So the folder looks like Client/2020 June/3006 End client/ - where I have my Trados folders, usually named 1, 2, 3 if there are several for one day (unlikely).

In that particular folder (1) you now see these folders: da-DK, en-US (original files), Packages, Reports, TM and Proj* name - which here is a folder, not a file.

I just don't know what happened or how to fix it… When I open the sdlxliff files, they are empty, the TM is empty.

I could get my client to send the files I sent in the partial return project package. But it MUST be on my computer, no? Here, I just tied to share an image of the screen when I try to reopen the return package I sent (I just get an error message when I try to open it). I have translated several thousand words, but it is all gone?!? I have never had this problem before.

[Edited at 2020-06-30 19:28 GMT]
Collapse

Ditte Duclert
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Jun 30, 2020

No, there is the sdlppx file, but it takes me to a project that has not even been started.

ETA: I am using Trados Studio 2019 and still find some bugs in it from time to time which had been ironed out in the previous version. But could this be another one?

[Edited at 2020-06-30 19:03 GMT]

Ditte Duclert
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The progress when I open the return package I sent to my client Jun 30, 2020

Progress
Progress

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:43
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Unzip return package Jun 30, 2020

What happens if you unzip the return package? As in make a copy of it and then unzip it. Does that give you access to what you need?

Also, have you tried searching for your project name, maybe something got saved somewhere else by mistake?

Do you have a cloud backup? If yes, you can often retrieve previous versions of files from that cloud backup.

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:43
English to Russian
Just rename it back as it was before your intervention Jul 1, 2020

If your "TM doesn't remember anything", something is wrong with what you do, but not with Trados. You changed the path. Obviously Trados cannot find it now. This is not a bug. This is the most expected behavior. Just search for .sdlxliff or .sdlproj files as was mentioned above.

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:43
English to Russian
Which sdlxliff files exactly? Jul 1, 2020

Ditte Duclert wrote:
When I open the sdlxliff files, they are empty.

Which sdlxliff files exactly?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check language version of the sdlxliff version Jul 1, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
Ditte Duclert wrote:
When I open the sdlxliff files, they are empty.

Which sdlxliff files exactly?

Stepan has a good point: I have myself opened the source sdlxliff files thinking they were the target sdlxliff files, and they were emtpy to my horror … until I discovered the language in the left bar was English, not Norwegian. When I chose the right language, all the translation was there.

Robin LEPLUMEY
Stepan Konev
Aline Amorim

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:43
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In order to not waste more your time Jul 1, 2020

Ditte Duclert wrote:

I could get my client to send the files I sent in the partial return project package. But it MUST be on my computer, no?

[Edited at 2020-06-30 19:28 GMT]

In your place, I would ask the client to send back the project files/return project to you.
Did you try to restore your renamed folder by using "Restore previous versions" function?
To do that, you need to go to the folder that used to contain the files, right-click it, and then click "Restore previous versions".
I agree with Stepan, and Roy, it is not a Trados bug. Renaming, deleting, or moving files or folders accidentally can give you lots of headaches.
One possible solution would be a recovery software to retrieve your files/folder.

Ditte Duclert
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 1, 2020

Kristina Wolf wrote:

What happens if you unzip the return package? As in make a copy of it and then unzip it. Does that give you access to what you need?

Also, have you tried searching for your project name, maybe something got saved somewhere else by mistake?

Do you have a cloud backup? If yes, you can often retrieve previous versions of files from that cloud backup.

I did that and could access the sdlxliff files with the translations in them, thank you!

And I learned my lesson, do not rename the containing folder...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project content disappeared upon changing name of folder

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »