Thread poster: Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Latvia
Local time: 13:36
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2020

I was wondering, whether it is normal that my Studio 2019 performs such common tasks as opening projects lists or the projects themselves extremely slowly? Studio freezes for dozens of seconds, when performing these tasks. In the task manager it shows that Studio slowly increases its memory usage from around 600MB to around 1,2GB (just to open a list of projects). Smells like extremely inefficient code or architecture?

Is there a way to optimize this process? A tool that optimizes t
... See more
I was wondering, whether it is normal that my Studio 2019 performs such common tasks as opening projects lists or the projects themselves extremely slowly? Studio freezes for dozens of seconds, when performing these tasks. In the task manager it shows that Studio slowly increases its memory usage from around 600MB to around 1,2GB (just to open a list of projects). Smells like extremely inefficient code or architecture?

Is there a way to optimize this process? A tool that optimizes the project XML definitions, so that they are loaded faster?

My system runs on Inter Core i7-6600U and has 8GB of RAM, so I hope that this is not the issue.

The number of projects is a common 2-year workload for a freelancer - around 650, according to my Projects folder. But most project are marked as "Completed", so don't even show in the "In progress" list, which contains only a dozen projects.

Has this issue been addressed in the new version or the core architecture remained the same? I think about migrating to another CAT each time I have to wait.

Best regards,

Aleksandrs
Collapse

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Remove some projects from the list Aug 3, 2020

I think removing completed projects from your list is the only way to make Studio open it faster. I don't know for sure but I think that Studio checks each individual file in each of your projects at opening, and the most probable bottleneck is your disk speed and not CPU or RAM. I have an SSD on my machine, and I still have to wait a couple of seconds for Studio to open the project list when it grows longer. For this reason I trim my project list regularly by removing completed projects as I do... See more
I think removing completed projects from your list is the only way to make Studio open it faster. I don't know for sure but I think that Studio checks each individual file in each of your projects at opening, and the most probable bottleneck is your disk speed and not CPU or RAM. I have an SSD on my machine, and I still have to wait a couple of seconds for Studio to open the project list when it grows longer. For this reason I trim my project list regularly by removing completed projects as I don't need them in the list anyway.Collapse

Beata Baika

Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not realistic Aug 3, 2020

Thanks for your input. I have a faster 8 Gb/s version of SSD in my system as well, so I don't think it to be a bottleneck.
I have just done another test - during freezing HDD activity is in the range of 0,2-1,2MB/s, not too much. CPU load is about 20-25%.
I also wouldn't want to delete completed projects, because you never know when a customer wants to return to an older project, or when you need it for reference. There is a feature to keep a list of "Completed" projects, so I expect
... See more
Thanks for your input. I have a faster 8 Gb/s version of SSD in my system as well, so I don't think it to be a bottleneck.
I have just done another test - during freezing HDD activity is in the range of 0,2-1,2MB/s, not too much. CPU load is about 20-25%.
I also wouldn't want to delete completed projects, because you never know when a customer wants to return to an older project, or when you need it for reference. There is a feature to keep a list of "Completed" projects, so I expect SDL to make it work properly - their inability to do so is the real problem.
Besides that, deleting 600 projects one-by-one, with Studio freezing in between, will take a few months

[Edited at 2020-08-03 18:50 GMT]
Collapse

Sinan Pat
Ahmet Filik

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
add ins Aug 4, 2020

Do you have any add-ins installed? If so try removing them as they can sometimes cause problems.

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
deleting projects Aug 4, 2020

If that doesnt work, you can select all projects and remove them in one go. You can always open them again easily from Windows Explorer if necessary.

Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workaround Aug 4, 2020

No, there are just a few add-ins, and they do not seem to cause these problems.

Yes, I am thinking exactly about deleting the projects from Studio. It would be a pity, because I like them organized in one place within Studio. Hopefully the new version will be out in Autumn, so I just might suffer a couple of month and then will use a fresh installation of the new version You are also right about deleting the projects
... See more

Yes, I am thinking exactly about deleting the projects from Studio. It would be a pity, because I like them organized in one place within Studio. Hopefully the new version will be out in Autumn, so I just might suffer a couple of month and then will use a fresh installation of the new version You are also right about deleting the projects in one go. I first confused it with changing project status, which unfortunately can only be done on one-by-one basis.
Collapse

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:36
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same issue here Sep 6, 2020

Could it have something to do with having many projects marked as 'In progress'? I'd prefer changing the status to 'Complete' over deleting them if that would help.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
English to German
+ ...
You don't get from Trados what you paid for Sep 6, 2020

Aleksandrs Vališevskis wrote:

Yes, I am thinking exactly about deleting the projects from Studio. It would be a pity, because I like them organized in one place within Studio. Hopefully the new version will be out in Autumn, so I just might suffer a couple of month and then will use a fresh installation of the new version You are also right about deleting the projects in one go. I first confused it with changing project status, which unfortunately can only be done on one-by-one basis.

How much does Trados cost these days? Maybe with discount it's still around $500.00 (USD), right? You should be able to expect super fast processing times on any fairly new computer or even laptop.
They had more than a decade to make this program faster and account for additional tasks. But no, there we are.
Agencies expect you to have the newest version (which comes out almost every year now) and then you have to actually fight with the program to use it. Many things are still so user-unfriendly and way too complicated.
I might look at a new version if it's available for use online or in the Cloud, but these desktop versions just seem very inconvenient and way way too expensive.

Sinan Pat
David Patrick
Ahmet Filik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening project lists and projects is extremely slow in SDL Trados Studio 2019

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »