Creating a single package or multiple smaller packages for large project
Շարքի հրապարակողը: Steven Smith

Steven Smith
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Local time: 18:41
Անդամ (2007)
ճապոներենից անգլերեն
Aug 15

My client has a large project of about 100 files divided into several folders. They've asked me if I would prefer them to create a single package for all folders or to create a separate package for each folder. The completed files are to be returned in batches over a couple of months.

I don't have much experience working with packages, so I'm not sure about the practicality of this. My questions are:

1. If working on a single package, can I create return packages for in
... See more
My client has a large project of about 100 files divided into several folders. They've asked me if I would prefer them to create a single package for all folders or to create a separate package for each folder. The completed files are to be returned in batches over a couple of months.

I don't have much experience working with packages, so I'm not sure about the practicality of this. My questions are:

1. If working on a single package, can I create return packages for individual folders as I complete them, or is it only possible to create a return package for all folders/files when completed?

2. Are there any other particular advantages or disadvantages to dividing a large project into separate project packages vs creating a single package?

I'm using Studio 2015.

Thanks for your help

Steven
Collapse

John Fry  Identity Verified
Միացյալ Նահանգներ
Local time: 12:41
Անդամ (2010)
ճապոներենից անգլերեն
I like single large packages Aug 16

You can create return packages for individual folders as you complete them. When you create a return package, Trados Studio asks you to select the files to be included. It keeps track of which files have already been returned.

Dan Lucas

Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Իտալիա
Local time: 19:41
Անդամ (2013)
գերմաներենից իտալերեն
+ ...
Separate packages Aug 16

Be wary of single packages containing multiple files. As far as my experience goes, they work perfectly when there aren't many files (let's say 10-12, for example), not so much when the files are many. Years ago an agency sent me a package with 100+ files and, while I managed to open it, it made Studio crash after a couple of minutes. I ended up having to remove the package from Studio altogether. At the time I used Studio 2011.

Steven Smith
Մեծ Բրիտանիա
Local time: 18:41
Անդամ (2007)
ճապոներենից անգլերեն
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 17

Thanks for both your replies. I'm going to work with multiple smaller packages and see how that goes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a single package or multiple smaller packages for large project

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2021 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2021 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2021 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Բառերի որոնում
  • Պատվերներ
  • Ֆորումներ
  • Multiple search