kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 01:01
English to Russian
Oct 27, 2020

G'day,
A client sent in a job full of tabs.
If I split the segment at the tabs, I'll get a lot more consistent data.
Reading online help for F/R of Studio 2016 makes me think the developer is [censored].
Am I right thinking that it is impossible to find a tab in source text in Studio 2019?
Thank you.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:01
English to Russian
Questions Oct 27, 2020

What is F/R? What is Studio 2016? What is your purpose? Why do you need 'to find a tab'? Studio 2021 uses tabs for segmentation (it splits segments at the tab positions by default). Do you want to change this behavior for Studio to show tabs in the editor?

Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PiTvMvJ2k&feature=youtu.be

[Edited at 2020-10-27 21:
... See more
What is F/R? What is Studio 2016? What is your purpose? Why do you need 'to find a tab'? Studio 2021 uses tabs for segmentation (it splits segments at the tab positions by default). Do you want to change this behavior for Studio to show tabs in the editor?

Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PiTvMvJ2k&feature=youtu.be

[Edited at 2020-10-27 21:37 GMT]
Collapse

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your questions Oct 28, 2020

F/R = find-replace
2016 is actually 2019, sorry
My purpose is to split segments at *every* tab, so manual, "human", search won't do.
I need to find a tab in order to split the segment at this tab.
All versions of Studio can segment by the tab, but only if you prepare the project yourself.
I don't have Studio 2121.
I don't want to change this behavior for Studio to show tabs in the editor.
Thank you for your video. The TM sits on a server, and I cannot ch
... See more
F/R = find-replace
2016 is actually 2019, sorry
My purpose is to split segments at *every* tab, so manual, "human", search won't do.
I need to find a tab in order to split the segment at this tab.
All versions of Studio can segment by the tab, but only if you prepare the project yourself.
I don't have Studio 2121.
I don't want to change this behavior for Studio to show tabs in the editor.
Thank you for your video. The TM sits on a server, and I cannot change any of its settings.

So, my question still is: how can I use Studio's Find/Replace feature to find a tab character in the source text?
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 00:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copy+paste Oct 28, 2020

Hi, I'd say there is an easy solution if I understood you well.
Just copy+paste the tab character from the Editor into the Search/Replace box.
The tab character won't display in the S/R box, but it's there for sure. I've tested what I explain.
Good luck.

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about a dummy character? Oct 28, 2020

How about this: try to find a character that is not present anywhere in your SDLXLIFF file, e.g. a pipe | or a picture numeral e.g. ⓪, and then open the SDLXLIFF file in a Unicode aware text editor (e.g. Akelpad) and perform a find/replace operation to find all tabs (which in Akelpad is \t) with that dummy character. Then you can split by it. Then afterwards, don't forget to replace it with tabs again in the text editor.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
A minor addition Oct 28, 2020

In addition to the above suggestion by Lorenzo, you can filter all segments that contain tabs. Type \t in the filter field for source (Review tab). Also, you can use the same regex for searching with the 'Use regular expression' option checked.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Workaround Oct 28, 2020

kd42 wrote:
The TM sits on a server, and I cannot change any of its settings.

But I think you still can create an empty TM for segmentation by bringing it to the top of TM list. In this case your file will be segmented against your TM and populated from your client's TM.
UPD. Ah, you have it already prepared by client. Ok, forget this message. Just use \t

[Edited at 2020-10-28 10:43 GMT]

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Oct 28, 2020

Thanks a lot, everyone, for coming to my rescue, and especially Lorenzo who suggested the ideal solution.
It is nice to see that such great minds and generous people knock about Proz and share their wisdom with simpletons like myself. You made my day, folks! :^)

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glad to be helpful Oct 29, 2020

kd42 wrote:

Thanks a lot, everyone, for coming to my rescue, and especially Lorenzo who suggested the ideal solution.
It is nice to see that such great minds and generous people knock about Proz and share their wisdom with simpletons like myself. You made my day, folks! :^)

👍👍 Big problems, simple solutions!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to find tabs in source text, Studio 2019

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »