Thread poster: Daniel Gothe
Daniel Gothe
Daniel Gothe
Sweden
Local time: 17:52
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2021

Hey guys, I'm a very new (I purchased a license during the Black Friday Sale) user of SDL Trados and I've just received a QA-project from another translator where I've been asked to "correct" an abundance of bolded segments.

This is obviously a real pain, since the Word-doc that sits behind the SDL-file I received is over 500 pages long and there are 755 indicated "errors" from the client. The error is small but irritating. The previous translator's work has been flagged with an is
... See more
Hey guys, I'm a very new (I purchased a license during the Black Friday Sale) user of SDL Trados and I've just received a QA-project from another translator where I've been asked to "correct" an abundance of bolded segments.

This is obviously a real pain, since the Word-doc that sits behind the SDL-file I received is over 500 pages long and there are 755 indicated "errors" from the client. The error is small but irritating. The previous translator's work has been flagged with an issue for each bold-tag that has an extra space after it. When looking at the preview, you can't even notice, but the client wants it changed, and I'm getting paid.

If I had a HTML-source it would be a simple fix.. Search and replace ' ' with '', easy peasy, job done.

I was hoping I could have done the same in SDL Trados, but the search function doesn't capture tags, or at least I can't figure out how to force it. I'm hoping it's the latter, because that would mean someone here could teach me how to use the function.

I apologize if this question has been answered lately, but when I searched I only found posts from 2015 and the issue wasn't resolved.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Perhaps trying External View Jan 28, 2021

You have the option of exporting to External View, where the translation is made into a Word document in table form. Here it should be possible to search for the tags I would think. At least worth a try.

Roy

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:52
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
CleanUp Tasks Jan 28, 2021

Daniel Gothe wrote:
If I had a HTML-source it would be a simple fix.. Search and replace ' ' with '', easy peasy, job done.

It's not a stupid question. This is non-trivial stuff in Studio. Search the SDL AppStore for CleanUp Tasks and install it. Read the help and examples carefully. The docs contain examples of manipulating tags. It works for me, but my use-case is a bit different.

Dan

Daniel Gothe
Daniel Gothe
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 28, 2021

Thanks! Very helpful!

I'm getting more and more SDL-related projects, and I'm learning as I'm going. I'll absolutely check out the app store for that app.

As for the export, I need to deliver the SDL project back to the customer, so even if I find the issues in the External View, I still have to fix them internally. The client has created an error list identifying each individual _potential_ issue, so I know what they are - they just want it corrected. Not a translati
... See more
Thanks! Very helpful!

I'm getting more and more SDL-related projects, and I'm learning as I'm going. I'll absolutely check out the app store for that app.

As for the export, I need to deliver the SDL project back to the customer, so even if I find the issues in the External View, I still have to fix them internally. The client has created an error list identifying each individual _potential_ issue, so I know what they are - they just want it corrected. Not a translating job per say, but it's a QA.

/Daniel
Collapse

Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Partial solution: use the advanced display filter - can anyone add to this? Jan 28, 2021

I’m still using Trados 2019. I assume the layout of 2021 is similar.

On the view tab at the top, under options, select "Full tag text"
Then click on advanced display filter on the right hand side
Check the box that says "Regular expression"

In the Target: field, enter "cf bold" or whatever appears in the bold tags.

This should filter out all of the segments that contain bold formatting
You’d still have to delete the extra space manuall
... See more
I’m still using Trados 2019. I assume the layout of 2021 is similar.

On the view tab at the top, under options, select "Full tag text"
Then click on advanced display filter on the right hand side
Check the box that says "Regular expression"

In the Target: field, enter "cf bold" or whatever appears in the bold tags.

This should filter out all of the segments that contain bold formatting
You’d still have to delete the extra space manually. But at least you won’t miss any.

Maybe somebody knows how to search for the tag plus whatever comes after it?

[Edited at 2021-01-28 16:53 GMT]
Collapse

Julianne Rowland

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another alternative Jan 28, 2021

SDLXLIFF files are XML files so you can open them in any advanced text editor (e.g. Notepad++) and find and replace at your heart's content, as if it were an HTML file. You could complete your task in one single operation.

Hope this helps.

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:52
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Good idea, with caveats Jan 28, 2021

Jaime Oriard wrote:
and find and replace at your heart's content, as if it were an HTML file.

Provided you don't actually change any of the XML structure! You need to be very sure what it is that you want to replace, and that it is safe. That's the main reason I use CleanUp tasks rather than editing the file direct, and even then it can be risky. I learnt to my cost that (for example), grepping angle brackets resulted in problems.

If the search string is unambiguous Jaime's idea looks like a good one. Why not try on a copy and report back?

Dan

Daniel Gothe
Daniel Gothe
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jan 28, 2021

Thank you again for all your suggestions. I have installed CleanUp and will read the instructions Dan so kindly provided. Will report back with my results.

Thank you everyone for all your support!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search and replace TAGS in SDL Trados Studio 2021

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »