Problem with .pac and unicode
Thread poster: Viet_Ha
Viet_Ha
Viet_Ha
Local time: 05:59
English to Vietnamese
Oct 24, 2010

Hi all, I'm having problem with .pac file and unicode. The company I do subtitling for only accept .pac files, while the language I have to translated in must use unicode. I translate from English into Vietnamese. However, after saving, I opened the file again, and some characters were missing. Does .pac file support unicode? I have tried Spot and FAB subtitler but they didn't work.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes Oct 25, 2010

Yes. Please read in : http://www.belle-nuit.com/subtitler/htmlfiles/history.html

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Viet_Ha
Viet_Ha
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Still does't work Oct 25, 2010

Hi,

Thank you for reply. I tried your recommended software, but it didn't work.

If I typed:

"Cậu chắc đó là anh ta chứ?"

the characters would be transformed into these

"C?u ch?c dó là anh ta ch?"

Do we need any other specific configuration?

Cristina Popescu (X)
Cristina Popescu (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:59
English to Romanian
+ ...
I don't think .pac files are the problem Oct 27, 2010

As far as I know, .pac files do support Unicode. Romanian also requires Unicode and I can work with .pac files just fine.

However, it might be an operating system problem. If you're using Windows 7 or Vista, you should make sure you're using the right Unicode configuration (for Romanian there are 3). Just check how many Vietnamese configurations there are, switch between them, and see which one is working. There should be something called "Classic" or "Traditional". Try that.
... See more
As far as I know, .pac files do support Unicode. Romanian also requires Unicode and I can work with .pac files just fine.

However, it might be an operating system problem. If you're using Windows 7 or Vista, you should make sure you're using the right Unicode configuration (for Romanian there are 3). Just check how many Vietnamese configurations there are, switch between them, and see which one is working. There should be something called "Classic" or "Traditional". Try that.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with .pac and unicode

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »