Thread poster: Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2010

Hello all! I am a translator Spanish/French-English, living in Madrid.

I would love to eventually get into subtitling for the audiovisual market, as I have a MA in Film and a background in it too. I have been researching where to start and have not been able to find any information. I wanted to know first of all how you would find out about jobs, who would employ you and if you would only work in the country of your mother tongue i.e. I am Irish, could I work here?

A
... See more
Hello all! I am a translator Spanish/French-English, living in Madrid.

I would love to eventually get into subtitling for the audiovisual market, as I have a MA in Film and a background in it too. I have been researching where to start and have not been able to find any information. I wanted to know first of all how you would find out about jobs, who would employ you and if you would only work in the country of your mother tongue i.e. I am Irish, could I work here?

Any lead at all would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Isa.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:39
English to Thai
+ ...
Italian agency Oct 25, 2010

Iseulth wrote:

I applied to an Italian Subtitling agency which also has an office in the US. It offers many language pairs to do. But alas, the fee rate is too badly low to earn a good living: It does documentary subtitling that is usually paying low price!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

martienne
martienne
Local time: 10:39
reply Oct 26, 2010

The pay for subtitling is generally apalling, I think.
I wouldn't get into that as a career choice if I were you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Career in subtitling for film/TV

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »