George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:47
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 17, 2010

You know, people aren't always in a cinema environment whenever they watch a film, programme or advert. And people who are deaf or hard of hearing, when watching a film, will always be thankful for the subtitles present even if they know all the spoken dialogue is in their mother tongue. But I'm convinced that there are some people out there who insist on watching a film whose dialogue is in their mother tongue with subtitles playing even though can hear it all perfectly well, if they can. There... See more
You know, people aren't always in a cinema environment whenever they watch a film, programme or advert. And people who are deaf or hard of hearing, when watching a film, will always be thankful for the subtitles present even if they know all the spoken dialogue is in their mother tongue. But I'm convinced that there are some people out there who insist on watching a film whose dialogue is in their mother tongue with subtitles playing even though can hear it all perfectly well, if they can. There are two main arguments to support this: a) you might not be able to actually understand something that's said, if the character's speaking too fast or sloppy or something; b) background noise in the vicinity of the speaker could make the dialogue in the film hard to hear.

I know the 888 thing on Teletext (British TV), that provides subtitles for whatever you're watching at the time. And I wonder if subtitles will one day be compulsory for every DVD released (as an option).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The future of subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »