Thread poster: Pradeep Neupane
Pradeep Neupane
Pradeep Neupane  Identity Verified
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Dec 2, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry if it is post previously. I want to learn and start job of subtitling.

So, please kindly help me out as a newbie how should i get started and also help with the tools to use.

Language Pair: English>Nepali

Warmest Regards,
Pradeep Neupane

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Start with using of subtitle files in video play Dec 2, 2010

Subtitle files have a number of formats. First start with text or Unicode file. You can download the subtitle editor as freeware.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:35
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
subtitle workshop Dec 2, 2010

Hi,

There is a free software that you could download from internet - subtitle workshop. It has an user friendly interface and it is perfect for beginners. There are agencies that request this software, so it is generally good to have it and to know how to use it.

You should get started by practicing. Subtitling sounds interesting and those who never worked on subtitling projects tend to think that it is easy. It isn't. Subtitling is very time consuming, even if
... See more
Hi,

There is a free software that you could download from internet - subtitle workshop. It has an user friendly interface and it is perfect for beginners. There are agencies that request this software, so it is generally good to have it and to know how to use it.

You should get started by practicing. Subtitling sounds interesting and those who never worked on subtitling projects tend to think that it is easy. It isn't. Subtitling is very time consuming, even if you have to translate the scripts only (no timing involved). There will be always a limit of characters and you will have to adjust your translation to that limit. I don't know very much about Nepali and Hindi, but Romanian words are usually longer than their equivalents in English and the process of finding the best solution for a single subtitling line needs time.

So I suggest that you download the software, learn a little bit about it, find a movie that you like, download the English scripts from internet (if there are any) and practice subtitling.

Good luck!
Collapse

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
help with subtitling Dec 2, 2010

Thank you Veronica and Soonthon.

But i am not able to download the dialogue of movie. If you have any such link please help me out.

Regards,
Pradeep

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:35
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
scripts to download Dec 2, 2010

Pradeep Neupane wrote:

Thank you Veronica and Soonthon.

But i am not able to download the dialogue of movie. If you have any such link please help me out.

Regards,
Pradeep

Hi,

There are thousands of scripts on internet made by amateurs. The subtitles may be more or less qualitative, but they are good enough for practicing.

Go, for example to http://www.subtitlesbox.com , type in the search box the name of a movie you like, and you will get as result a list of languages for which subtitles were uploaded. Press on English (since this is your source language), press download, save the file on your computer. You will download a zip archive, which has to be unzipped first. You will extract a .srt file which is one of the file types used for subtitles.

Then open subtitle workshop. Go to file / load subtitles. Select the .srt file you downloaded and start practicing.

Hope it helps.

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to start with subtitling Dec 3, 2010

Thank you a lots Veronica. I will go through your guidance and let you know in case of any issues.

Regards,
Pradeep

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to start with subtitling

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »