Zehavit Ehre
Zehavit Ehre  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:57
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Apr 27, 2011

Hi,
I am trying to copy Spanish text from a Word file to Subtitle Workshop, but all the letters with Spanish orthography (the ñ in mañana, the ó in organización, etc) come out as a question marks. meaning: ma?ana, organizaci?n.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Zehavit

ISAAC PRADEL LEAL
ISAAC PRADEL LEAL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:57
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
I guess ... Apr 27, 2011

The worst case scenario is to retype them...

Zehavit Ehre
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but Apr 27, 2011

I usually don't work with Spanish and don't have the shortcuts to these unique characters in my keyboard.
I am looking for something you can do in Subtitle Workshop, settings or whatever that will accept Spanish text as is when I do copy+paste.

Tiziana Iskander
Tiziana Iskander
Italy
Local time: 09:57
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
subtitle workshop Apr 27, 2011

Zehavit Ehre wrote:

I usually don't work with Spanish and don't have the shortcuts to these unique characters in my keyboard.
I am looking for something you can do in Subtitle Workshop, settings or whatever that will accept Spanish text as is when I do copy+paste.

Unfortunately, subtitle workshop doesn't have any setting for special characters. You have to type those characters directly in the software text window. I know it because I used it last year for spanish subtitles.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Something wrong there Apr 27, 2011

I use Subtitle Workshop with Portuguese and never had problems with accents.

Are you using SW v2.51 (the good one) or v4 (an unfinished rewrite)?

What kind of file are you saving with Word? It should be TXT.

What charset are you using in SW? I use ANSI for PT.

Zehavit Ehre
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
STILL DIDN'T FIGURE IT OUT BUT FOUND SOME SOLUTION Apr 27, 2011

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I use Subtitle Workshop with Portuguese and never had problems with accents.

Are you using SW v2.51 (the good one) or v4 (an unfinished rewrite)?

What kind of file are you saving with Word? It should be TXT.

What charset are you using in SW? I use ANSI for PT.

José, I use version 2.51. I know that version 4 is not considered to be good.
I have receivedthe Spanish text in Word file and did copy+paste into SW each subtitle at a time.
My default is also ANSI.
Next time I'll try using txt.

Eventually I have exported the SRT that I've created in SW to this web based subtitling site http://www.overstream.net, and there I've corrected the words and exported it again as SRT.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
You must have wasted a lot of time, line by line Apr 27, 2011

I translate for subtitling using Express Scribe and the Windows Notepad (which renders pure TXT - Word supposedly should do the same, as TXT).

I guess you got, say, a script with all that junk, maybe some timespotting as well, and wanted to convert that into subtitles.

The moment you clean your file to have each subtitle on one line ending with a Break/Enter into a TXT file, you can import it directly into SW.

What I usually do is to import that TXT file in
... See more
I translate for subtitling using Express Scribe and the Windows Notepad (which renders pure TXT - Word supposedly should do the same, as TXT).

I guess you got, say, a script with all that junk, maybe some timespotting as well, and wanted to convert that into subtitles.

The moment you clean your file to have each subtitle on one line ending with a Break/Enter into a TXT file, you can import it directly into SW.

What I usually do is to import that TXT file into Media Subtitler (another freeware - requires too much adrenalin to use instead of SW), and save it to SSA (the format I use). Then I open it with SW, and it works.

Btw, that text file may have the | (vertical bar) character for the line break(s) within a subtitle.

If you are "cleaning" some timespotted subtitles file, open it in Word, make the page wide and/or the font small enough to fit all lines to the end. Use a monospace font, e.g. Courier New. Alt+Click will let you drag and select a rectangular area to delete all those times, as well as the junk in every sub, if it's a SSA file.
Collapse

Zehavit Ehre
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 27, 2011

I appreciate your help.
Zehavit

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Workshop in Spanish

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »