Thread poster: Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 11:52
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
May 5, 2011

Hello,
Recently I have been offered a class for teaching. I've found some films from Youtube and want to add Farsi subtitles to them and use them as educational aid.
Please share your knowledge with me and let me know how I can add my subtitle file which is in (.ssa) format to my film. Moreover if a film has more than one part how I can join them together and make one single film. I have used Subtitle Maker to make subtitle file. I've useImTOO Movie Maker 6 for adding the subtitle b
... See more
Hello,
Recently I have been offered a class for teaching. I've found some films from Youtube and want to add Farsi subtitles to them and use them as educational aid.
Please share your knowledge with me and let me know how I can add my subtitle file which is in (.ssa) format to my film. Moreover if a film has more than one part how I can join them together and make one single film. I have used Subtitle Maker to make subtitle file. I've useImTOO Movie Maker 6 for adding the subtitle but i failed to add it to the film.
Kindly let me know how I can add subs to the film and make my film parts join together (if any other software helps me in this way please inform me).
Bests
Mahdi
Collapse

Roman Bouchev
Roman Bouchev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:22
English to Russian
+ ...
There are ways May 5, 2011

Kindly let me know how I can add subs to the film and make my film parts join together (if any other software helps me in this way please inform me).

If you're going to watch a movie with subtitles being displayed every time you play it, then you have to BURN them. Burning in subtitles means that we’ll put them directly into the video source. This has the advantage of being playable on every platform (even PSPs and iPhones), but the process takes a lot longer and you won’t be able to remove the subtitles afterwards.
These are so called "hard subtitles" (or forced - вшитые, неотключаемые).

Files you’ll need:
-VirtualDub
- VobSub (not to be confused with DirectVobSub)
- Decent video codec, like Xvid

Just google for "burning subtitles into avi" or simply "burning subtitles". There are abundant links to video decoding sites with illustrated step-by-step tutorials. Follow the instructions and try applying them.

Otherwise, just put you sub file into a folder with the movie. These are soft subtitles (отключаемые). You can remove your subs (or drag them away to a different folder) any time you like after you have watched the film.

Joining parts of a film is no big deal. Make use of the fabulous VirtualDub (search for a stable release on the official site). Open Video file > Append > Save as.

[Edited at 2011-05-05 08:09 GMT]

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 11:52
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Alexandra Karanikolou
Alexandra Karanikolou
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:22
English to Greek
Avidemux software Jun 12, 2011

I think that a very convenient software for burning subtitles on avi and other formats of videos is Avidemux. You can download it for free, and you don't need any additional software.
I have tried it many times and the results are perfect.
You just need to consult the manual here http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=start, because it's not very easy to use without a
... See more
I think that a very convenient software for burning subtitles on avi and other formats of videos is Avidemux. You can download it for free, and you don't need any additional software.
I have tried it many times and the results are perfect.
You just need to consult the manual here http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=start, because it's not very easy to use without any instructions.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

adding subtitle to a film

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »