Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Are rates for subtitling offered that are better compared to translation?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 08:29
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 29, 2012

After what I've found out on a quick search on internet, generally the rates offered for subtitling are very low compared to the rates for translation.

But then I was offered to take a test for a subtitling company, which I passed and then have been offered my first jobs.

And the rates for this company actually seem to be better than my current rates for translation (if I do the calcu
... See more

After what I've found out on a quick search on internet, generally the rates offered for subtitling are very low compared to the rates for translation.

But then I was offered to take a test for a subtitling company, which I passed and then have been offered my first jobs.

And the rates for this company actually seem to be better than my current rates for translation (if I do the calculations on a day-to-day basis):

The number of minutes of subtitling text I can translate during one day times the subtitling rate per minute, compared to number of words I can translate during one day times the translation rate per word.

Can this be the case for this subtitling company, that the payment is actually better than the normal translation rates I have?

I've been offered several stretches of subtitles to translate during the next three weeks, so I want to be certain I will at least get about the same payment as I have for translation jobs before I accept.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

congrats Sep 29, 2012

Congratulations, you might just have found your niche!

If you're having to listen to the original soundtrack of the movie and subtitle that way, I personally don't have the patience to do such a thing. But good on you if you can make profit out of it!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can believe it Sep 30, 2012

I've found equivalent rates, so I don't see how some outfits can't do one better.

Then, there's the other thing: you could actually get used to the job and go faster, becoming more productive and earning more.

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not the voice over transcript type of subtitling Sep 30, 2012

The test I took was really enjoyable, because of it's a movie so it's interesting and it's not this voice over transcript type of subtitling (no need to listen to anything, just translate stretches of texts in the provider's own online software). So I feel this would be really some variation from the usual type of translation I do. Think I will try to translate a few batches and see if it goes as easy as the test did.

Have this plus my usual translation jobs with technical manuals e
... See more
The test I took was really enjoyable, because of it's a movie so it's interesting and it's not this voice over transcript type of subtitling (no need to listen to anything, just translate stretches of texts in the provider's own online software). So I feel this would be really some variation from the usual type of translation I do. Think I will try to translate a few batches and see if it goes as easy as the test did.

Have this plus my usual translation jobs with technical manuals etc., just as variation.

[Edited at 2012-09-30 10:54 GMT]
Collapse

christela (X)
christela (X)
Rates offered? Sep 30, 2012

What is that?

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Really ? Sep 30, 2012

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
no need to listen to anything

Translating a movie without watching or listening to it ?

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:29
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hmm Sep 30, 2012

I think I did the test for the same company... Aren't they paying per video minute? And this involves watching it too... When I did the math, it came to a per-hour rate offered for entry jobs at fast food restaurants.
No go for me...

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:29
English to Indonesian
I don't think so Oct 1, 2012

Recep Kurt wrote:

I think I did the test for the same company... Aren't they paying per video minute? And this involves watching it too... When I did the math, it came to a per-hour rate offered for entry jobs at fast food restaurants.
No go for me...

I think his company is different. I've worked for the company you're talking about. Their rate is derogatory.

[Edited at 2012-10-01 04:34 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Double post.
Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 07:29
English to French
... Oct 1, 2012

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

The test I took was really enjoyable, because of it's a movie so it's interesting and it's not this voice over transcript type of subtitling (no need to listen to anything, just translate stretches of texts in the provider's own online software).

That's going to produce quality work, I'm sure...

Any good translator is not necessarily a good subtitler.

Silke Schuetze
Silke Schuetze  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
2.25 USD per minute of runtime for subtitling - is the rate ok? Nov 29, 2012

I don't know, the rate seems a little low for me, because translating the subtitles is fast, but you need to give every subtitle a timecode with the software, and this takes quite a long time, I think... I have done subtitling only once and of course being the first time with a new programme, I was very slow, so I cannot say if maybe you get a lot quicker regarding the technical side of it, the timecodes etc...?
Can anybody give me some advice?
What is an ok rate for subtitling?
... See more
I don't know, the rate seems a little low for me, because translating the subtitles is fast, but you need to give every subtitle a timecode with the software, and this takes quite a long time, I think... I have done subtitling only once and of course being the first time with a new programme, I was very slow, so I cannot say if maybe you get a lot quicker regarding the technical side of it, the timecodes etc...?
Because the company wants me to do a very time-consuming test (unpaid of course) and if the rates are very low, I wouldn't waste half a day for that...
Thank you for your advice!
Silke
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 23:29
English to Chinese
Doubling it would still be low rate Nov 30, 2012

The company's offer is only acceptable if they ask you to do movies such as "The Artist". It's definitely not ok for dramas like "Downton Abbey". Giving every subtitle a timecode is extra work and should be paid separately.
I would drop this "offer" and look for something better.

Chun-yi

Silke Schuetze wrote:

Because the company wants me to do a very time-consuming test (unpaid of course) and if the rates are very low, I wouldn't waste half a day for that...
Silke

Martin Damiano Alcorta
Martin Damiano Alcorta  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
@Silke: 2.25 USD per minute of runtime for subtitling? Dec 5, 2012

Silke Schuetze wrote:

Silke

Oh my! This is what I was offered:
Conforming Rate: $0.3 USD/min. of runtime. This includes watching through a time-coded English subtitle file, looking for glaring objective errors, timing issues or missing sections of text, and final checks for spelling and syntax with automated tools.
Is this Ok???

Thanks in advance!

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 07:29
English to French
run away! Dec 5, 2012

Martin Damiano Alcorta wrote:

Oh my! This is what I was offered:
Conforming Rate: $0.3 USD/min. of runtime. This includes watching through a time-coded English subtitle file, looking for glaring objective errors, timing issues or missing sections of text, and final checks for spelling and syntax with automated tools.
Is this Ok???

Thanks in advance!

No, it's not. For revision, I was offered 4 times that without having to check the timing...

With this rate, you'll get 27 dollars for a 90 min film. That is, 27 dollars for probably around 3 hours of work. Does that sound OK for you?

My advice: Run away.

Martin Damiano Alcorta
Martin Damiano Alcorta  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ok! Dec 5, 2012

Thanks for your advice Faustine! I was very suspicious about it!

Cheers!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »