Price recommendations - short video translation
Thread poster: Tanya Rozanes Olevsky (X)
Tanya Rozanes Olevsky (X)
Israel
Local time: 14:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2013

Dear colleagues,

How much would you charge for translating a short documentary (10 min) into English in the form of SUBTITLES + inserting those subtitles into the video?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:23
Russian to English
+ ...
your hourly rate for translation Feb 20, 2013

frances_glass wrote:

Dear colleagues,

How much would you charge for translating a short documentary (10 min) into English in the form of SUBTITLES + inserting those subtitles into the video?

I would estimate how long this will take you and then quote them a rate based on your hourly rate.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Inserting??? Feb 20, 2013

I suggest you check what they mean by "inserting".

It's not like translating, printing it out, shredding it into accurate strips, and then inserting them between layers of video tape.

I've described the entire 3-step process at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html , and I strongly suggest tha
... See more

It's not like translating, printing it out, shredding it into accurate strips, and then inserting them between layers of video tape.

I've described the entire 3-step process at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html , and I strongly suggest that - before discussing prices - you find out exactly what your client expects you to do. Otherwise, unless you are ready to go the whole nine yards (if that's what they mean by "inserting"), you may be left out on a limb.
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 13:23
English to Italian
+ ...
Pls. clarify Feb 21, 2013

If by "inserting" you mean "embedding" this is generally quoted separately based on the client's preferences in terms of color, font, layout etc.

For subtitling (cueing and translation) only I would charge between Eur 7 and Eur 10 per minute of video.

HTH

Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: clarification Feb 21, 2013

Monica Paolillo wrote:

If by "inserting" you mean "embedding" this is generally quoted separately based on the client's preferences in terms of color, font, layout etc.

For subtitling (cueing and translation) only I would charge between Eur 7 and Eur 10 per minute of video.

HTH

Dear Monica,
Thank you for the reply. I totally agree concerning the separate quote. I actually quoted the tranlsation very close to what you suggested. The problem is that the client hadn't expressed any preferences concerning the embedding, that is why I was wondering how to quote it.
I appreciate your help.

Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2013

Sarah McDowell wrote:

frances_glass wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I would estimate how long this will take you and then quote them a rate based on your hourly rate.

Thanks Sarah!

Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
article Feb 21, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I've described the entire 3-step process at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html , and I strongly suggest that - before discussing prices - you find out exactly what your client expects you to do. Otherwise, unless you are ready to go the whole nine yards (if that's what they mean by "inserting"), you may be left out on a limb.

Dear Jose,
Thanks very much for sharing the article. Actually, I've read it before as well as some other of your articles, and I find them very helpful.

I shall specify my question: how much would you charge for embedding subtitles (if you get them in a text file from an outsourcer) to a 10 - minute video?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Tanya

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Now I get it! Feb 21, 2013

frances_glass wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Dear Jose,
Thanks very much for sharing the article. Actually, I've read it before as well as some other of your articles, and I find them very helpful.

I shall specify my question: how much would you charge for embedding subtitles (if you get them in a text file from an outsourcer) to a 10 - minute video?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Tanya

Frances,

As rates vary sharply between countries, language pairs, etc. I'll give you the proportions, so you can calculate.

If someone gives me a video, and wants it translated (by me), spotted, and subtitled, what they'll pay me will we distributed in this way:
Translation = 66%
Time-spotting = 20%
Burning = 14%

However there is a catch in time-spotting... I know how to translate for subtitles, and I know a few colleagues who do it as it should be done. However a nondescript outsourcer may give you a translation "for subtitling" just like one I saw today... the full script!

It's good for delivering the entire script translated, however when it's simply broken into subtitles, the spectator's eyes will get "breathless" upon watching, if this makes sense to you.

So if the customer-provided translation for subtitles is the real thing, properly done, the relationship above remains. However, if I have to re-adapt the translation, break streaming text properly into subtitles, matching the text length and breaks to the speaker's pace, the work involved will be almost as much as translating from scratch. So my price for spotting may up to double, depending on what I get.

Now I translate EN(US)-PT(BR) both ways, so I can do this adaption in either PT or EN. As I speak - but don't translate - IT-FR-ES, I can do it for translations from these three languages, but definitely not into them. In the latter case, I must have a proper translation for subtitling, ready for spotting, untouched.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price recommendations - short video translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »