Anneli Lamoureux
Anneli Lamoureux  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:34
Member (2013)
French to Swedish
+ ...
May 22, 2013

Hi there, I am Anneli, and I need your help in telling me a little more about subtitling. I am new to subtitling translation and I just received an offer from an agency and the want me to give them my rates for the following:

a. Translation from source without an English template

b. Translation with a timed English template

c. QC of a translated subtitle stream

First of all I'm not sure about the
... See more
Hi there, I am Anneli, and I need your help in telling me a little more about subtitling. I am new to subtitling translation and I just received an offer from an agency and the want me to give them my rates for the following:

a. Translation from source without an English template

b. Translation with a timed English template

c. QC of a translated subtitle stream

First of all I'm not sure about the difference between a. and b. but I guess that in a. you have to do the transcription yourself? What is the average rate for subtitling in Europe and what is the difference in time and rate between a. and b.

Thank you all for your precious help !

Anneli
Collapse

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 05:34
English to French
... May 22, 2013

Hi Anneli,

The difference between A and B is that with A, you have to do the spotting yourself. With B, you're given a template, that is an empty subtitle file (or sometimes with the source transcript in it) and you just have to do the translation.

Basically, working without a template can be more time consuming and should be charged more (although I do prefer to do the timing myself).

I hope that helps.

Anneli Lamoureux
Anneli Lamoureux  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling rates May 22, 2013

Hi Faustine,

As you can see, I'm really a beginner when It comes to subtitling. Could you help me with a reasonable quote for a, b and c taking in account that I don't have much experience in subtitling and that my standard rate for translations is 0,12 € / word.

For example would this be an acceptable quote :

A: 8 € / minute
B: 5 € / minute
C: 0,5 € /minute

The subtitling agency is located in the UK and for an English-Swedi
... See more
Hi Faustine,

As you can see, I'm really a beginner when It comes to subtitling. Could you help me with a reasonable quote for a, b and c taking in account that I don't have much experience in subtitling and that my standard rate for translations is 0,12 € / word.

The subtitling agency is located in the UK and for an English-Swedish translation.

Thanks for your help.

Anneli
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Before asking about the rates... May 22, 2013

...ask yourself whether you can actually offer the a. service. To cue you need training and professional software.

Good luck.

Anneli Lamoureux wrote:

Hi Faustine,

The subtitling agency is located in the UK and for an English-Swedish translation.

Thanks for your help.

Anneli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling: Differerence in rate and time with or without a template

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »