Subtitle Workshop problem with PAL videos (25 FPS)
Thread poster: ZlataN
ZlataN
ZlataN  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2013

Greetings fellow subtitlers,
I have found these forums very useful in the past, but this is my very first time taking part. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I am becoming acquainted with Subtitle Workshop 2.51 (having only used company-provided software in the past). So far so good when I create a new subtitle file with NTSC (30 FPS) videos. However, whenever I open a PAL video, it plays but with an awful stuttering noise over the audio.
This may seem like an obvious qu
... See more
Greetings fellow subtitlers,
I have found these forums very useful in the past, but this is my very first time taking part. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I am becoming acquainted with Subtitle Workshop 2.51 (having only used company-provided software in the past). So far so good when I create a new subtitle file with NTSC (30 FPS) videos. However, whenever I open a PAL video, it plays but with an awful stuttering noise over the audio.
This may seem like an obvious question, but does anyone know how I can get a PAL video to play in Subtitle Workshop?
Thank you,
ZN
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:22
English to Spanish
Troubleshooting... Jul 26, 2013

I can only provide some general ideas to troubleshoot the issue. Have you played the video file using another player to discard a codec issue? Are you comparing files that only have different FPS or they have different encodings/resolutions etc.?

ZlataN
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same issue in Windows Media Player Jul 26, 2013

Hi Rossana,
Thank you for your reply.
The PAL videos work fine in TranStation, but in WMP I get the same stuttering noise.
I'm afraid I'm not very tech-savvy, but all the files are .AVI, and from what I can tell those with 29 frames per second work in Subtitle Workshop and WMP, those with 25 FPS do not, regardless of resolution and encoding. Any suggestions?

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
Codecs... Jul 26, 2013

If you're having the same problem in other players, I'd suggest updating your codecs (I recommend the CCCP). This is of course assuming you're using Windows (since you mentioned WMP I guess it's a safe bet).

ZlataN
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip! Jul 26, 2013

I'll try updating my codecs and hopefully that should do it.
And yes, I am using Windows.
Cheers.

Luiz Fernando Alves
Luiz Fernando Alves  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
convert the files Jul 29, 2013

Usually when I stumble upon a problem like this, I try to convert the video instead of finding a solution - it can be faster that way.

Since your problem happens only with Subtitle Workshop, I guess it would be no problem if you used a low-quality version of your video, for subtitling only. Then, afterwards, you would use the original with the subtitles you made.

In my case here, I receive .mov files from my client, which for some reason stopped working in SubWor
... See more
Usually when I stumble upon a problem like this, I try to convert the video instead of finding a solution - it can be faster that way.

Since your problem happens only with Subtitle Workshop, I guess it would be no problem if you used a low-quality version of your video, for subtitling only. Then, afterwards, you would use the original with the subtitles you made.

In my case here, I receive .mov files from my client, which for some reason stopped working in SubWorkshop. Instead of wasting time trying to figure out why this happened, I converted the .mov into a lower-quality (and therefore much lighter) .avi file. Then I use the .srt file with the original .mov, like it always should have been.

For my conversions, I use Allok 3GP PSP MP4 iPod Video Converter 6.2 (I think it can be also found as Allok All-to-All Converter, or something along these lines). But I'm sure there are a gazillion other useful conversion softwares out there.
Collapse

ZlataN
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another good lead Jul 30, 2013

Thank you for your advice, Luiz, maybe converting the video is my best bet. I'll have to check out the programs you mentioned.
Cheers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Workshop problem with PAL videos (25 FPS)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »