Is there an Organization for establishing the value of a Subtitling job?
Thread poster: nicola giacobbe
nicola giacobbe
nicola giacobbe  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:18
English to Italian
Aug 9, 2013

Dear all,

I have worked on a 90 mins Canadian documentary at the end of last June, I translated the transcript then
worked on the srt. file of subtitles in Italian.

Since the very beginning they were vague about the payment, then stated that payment was due NET 30, but after nearly 40 days, I received neither the payment nor any explanation of their behaviour.

The work was accepted; I applied all of their formatting requirements (I have worked on qui
... See more
Dear all,

I have worked on a 90 mins Canadian documentary at the end of last June, I translated the transcript then
worked on the srt. file of subtitles in Italian.

Since the very beginning they were vague about the payment, then stated that payment was due NET 30, but after nearly 40 days, I received neither the payment nor any explanation of their behaviour.

The work was accepted; I applied all of their formatting requirements (I have worked on quite a few subtitling projects to date); I asked for a very low rate ($ 3.00 / video minute) as a welcome to a new, and potentially important, client.

I have sent them an official request of payment through certified email, which they have ignored.

I am about to make an entry in Proz and TC to inform of their behaviour, and intend to pursue legal actions.

Does any of you know if there is a professional industry organization that would evaluate and certify the real commercial value of a subtitling project?

Thanks a lot.

Nicola Giacobbe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an Organization for establishing the value of a Subtitling job?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »