Price for subtitles
Thread poster: Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2013

I was asked for the first time to subtitle an Audio text . How much can I ask for? I think they are abou 500 words . I have no idea! Thank you for your suggestions!

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
You need software and training Oct 11, 2013

Hi,

To do subtitling you need to be trained because you have assign In and Out timecodes to the audiovisual material. For this you need to use professional subtitling software to originate subtitle files. Also you need to be familiar with the subtitling guidelines regarding dialogue condensation and syntax, character limits, maximum exposure of subtitles, where exactly you break sentences et cetera. If this is something you've never done before I'd rather skip it this time. You gene
... See more
Hi,

To do subtitling you need to be trained because you have assign In and Out timecodes to the audiovisual material. For this you need to use professional subtitling software to originate subtitle files. Also you need to be familiar with the subtitling guidelines regarding dialogue condensation and syntax, character limits, maximum exposure of subtitles, where exactly you break sentences et cetera. If this is something you've never done before I'd rather skip it this time. You generally charge subtitling by the minute of video/audio, not by the word and rates vary greatly based on the specific content and density of dialogues.

HTH

Monica
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Something is wrong here... Oct 11, 2013

You don't subtitle audio, but video. Anyway, you don't subtitle TEXT.

I hate to put it so bluntly, however as it seems that you are only concerned with how much you should charge them, do you have the skills it takes to actually do it?

Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to be honest... Oct 11, 2013

a bakery of this region asked me if i can "lend" them my voice and my Italian skills. That's all, I gave a look to the text I am supposed to read. I saw, it is not very much and asked you for a price Suggestion. The company knows I haven't done it before hand
José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

You don't subtitle audio, but video. Anyway, you don't subtitle TEXT.

I hate to put it so bluntly, however as it seems that you are only concerned with how much you should charge them, do you have the skills it takes to actually do it?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's not subtitling! Oct 11, 2013

baroni wrote:

a bakery of this region asked me if i can "lend" them my voice and my Italian skills. That's all, I gave a look to the text I am supposed to read. I saw, it is not very much and asked you for a price Suggestion. The company knows I haven't done it before hand

It would be voice talent, recording. If there were a video, and your voice would replace the existing one, it would be dubbing.

Quite frankly? Exchange that favor for some supply of bread or any other stuff they have and you like, so it remains at amateur level, and both parties will be pleased with the outcome, tutti amici.

In bocca al lupo!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for subtitles

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »