Swift (Teletext) - Subtitles not displayed in video window - help?
Thread poster: Ilona Meier
Ilona Meier
Ilona Meier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
Feb 14, 2014

Hi everyone, I've recently received a Swift dongle and had the software installed on my Windows 7 laptop. The software is running fine, with the exception that subtitles aren't displayed. I've worked with Swift before and more or less know my way around the software, but this one I simply cannot figure out. Does anyone have any suggestions at all...?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Silly, but possible Feb 15, 2014

Ilona,

I've never used Swift, however this has happened to me a couple of times:

Check the output font size, especially if the video is in HD.

For instance, if the video is 1280x720 and the subtitles are output in, say, 10 pt size letters (installation default?), you won't see them at all.

Ilona Meier
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Font & text size can't be changed Feb 15, 2014

Jose, thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately it appears that I cannot change the font size (or the font in general). This may have to do with the company's initial set-up; perhaps they set the text size wrong.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
How it works Feb 15, 2014

Ilona,

My knowledge of Swift is limited to bank transfers, Gulliver's author, and a Brazilian brand of processed meat.

Therefore I'm groping in the dark here.

Anyway, take a look at my comparison between SSA and SRT subtitle files at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html , a bit below mid-page, in maroon letters.

SSA has the font size
... See more
Ilona,

My knowledge of Swift is limited to bank transfers, Gulliver's author, and a Brazilian brand of processed meat.

Therefore I'm groping in the dark here.

Anyway, take a look at my comparison between SSA and SRT subtitle files at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html , a bit below mid-page, in maroon letters.

SSA has the font size within the subtitles file. SRT (and most text-only, no parms) file types leave it to the playing program to set it. Font color might be an issue as well.

You'll have to probe the programs you are using to find which one is doing display font setup.

One option is to open your Swift subtitle files in the Windows Notepad, if it is at all readable (I wouldn't know) and - if it's clearly stated like in my SSA example - check if there is any font size/color setting.

As everything else seems to be working okay, my best guess is that the problem is here. When you installed the program anew, something defaulted to some undesirable setting.

On a last thought, Subtitle Workshop (the one I use) has completely separate settings (i.e. different menus) for output and preview. Perhaps your output setting is OK, but the preview is not.
Collapse

Ilona Meier
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi José Feb 15, 2014

Hi José,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'm looking into to it now; it appears many preferences simply aren't available in my installation. I will post again if I find a solution...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swift (Teletext) - Subtitles not displayed in video window - help?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »