Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MTbhyDfCEU&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837

Here is a video of President Obama's State of the Union address yesterday. The Spanish subtitles, well, have some problems.

My guess that a fast typist/translator did this in almost real time and there wasn't enough time to adjust the text to the spoken
... See more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MTbhyDfCEU&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837

Here is a video of President Obama's State of the Union address yesterday. The Spanish subtitles, well, have some problems.

My guess that a fast typist/translator did this in almost real time and there wasn't enough time to adjust the text to the spoken speech.

[Edited at 2015-01-21 14:06 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:57
Member (2013)
English to Russian
hm Jan 21, 2015

Even though I am not fluent in Spanish and cannot see what the problem is, I can tell that interlingual live subtitling is an incredibly difficult job, and errors will find their way into the script whether you want it or not — as it often happens with subtitles in live news reports.

[Edited at 2015-01-21 13:54 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looks like a technical issue Jan 21, 2015

The process failed, it looks like. I see parts and bits of otherwise pretty correct phrases. The "equipment" must be at fault, but I have no idea how subtitling works, so I could be completely wrong here.

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 16:27
Tamil to English
+ ...
What went wrong here ? Jan 21, 2015

I don't know Spanish .But to me,it looks like a Time coding issue . I have a suggestion . Upload this video in Amara site .( If you don't use Amara ,sign up ) and then redo time coding in Amara's software . Looks like the English time coding is also wrong . You may have to do subtitle synchronization for Spanish from start to finish . In one go finish the fresh time coding and then make fine adjustments later . It is easy to time code accurately in Amara software .

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Language course? Jan 21, 2015

Looks like the fast way to learn English-Spanish.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:57
French to Spanish
+ ...
Machine... Jan 21, 2015

...subtitling, no doubt.
Never heard about "live" subtitling made by humans.
Impossible, IMHO.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
:/ Jan 21, 2015

Juan Jacob wrote:

...subtitling, no doubt.
Impossible, IMHO.

Have you never heard of interlingual live subtitling or just live subtitling? If it is the former, I can understand, as it is rarely used due to the difficulty and issues involved; if it is the latter, then you probably have never worked in any professional subtitling tool, as nearly 100% of them have functionality for live subtitling. Either way, you can read brief descriptions of these two types of subtitling on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitle_(captioning)#Live
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitle_(captioning)#Real-time

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Something went wrong with the Republican rebuttals too. Jan 21, 2015

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/republican-sotu-responses-get-lost-translation

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not true Jan 22, 2015

Juan Jacob wrote:

...subtitling, no doubt.
Impossible, IMHO.

I have interpreted at conferences where someone typed up the given speech as it was being given so that, when it was finished, people could have a copy. At the same time, I translated it into English. I think there was a lag of 5 minutes while we waited for the printer to do its job. I won't say it was my finest translation, but it was not bad and served a purpose until the text could be polished.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Voice subtitling Jan 22, 2015

Is it possible to subtitle with speech recognition software? That would go faster.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Yes Jan 22, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Is it possible to subtitle with speech recognition software? That would go faster.

Yes, of course. In WinCAPS Qu4ntum, for example, there is speech input functionality that uses integrated Dragon NaturallySpeaking for picking up your voice and converting it into text in subtitles. However, when it comes to speech input, there is one hurdle — homophones. Before starting speech-inputting text, you need to fine-tune your homophone substitution table (such substitutions are called "House Styles"), so that you don't have to struggle with words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I hope not, using YouTube's contrivance Jan 22, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If you go to YouTube, you may turn on the voice recognition-based subtitling and see the results. If that is not hilarious enough, turn on the automatic translation into the language of your choice.

For some reason that I cannot identify, the most hysterical ones seem to be obtained from dermatology clinics institutional videos. Anyone willing to earn an Ig Nobel Prize could try doing scientific research on why.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Oh, no Jan 22, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If you go to YouTube, you may turn on the voice recognition-based subtitling and see the results. If that is not hilarious enough, turn on the automatic translation into the language of your choice.

For some reason that I cannot identify, the most hysterical ones seem to be obtained from dermatology clinics institutional videos. Anyone willing to earn an Ig Nobel Prize could try doing scientific research on why.

José, I think you are confusing speech recognition for voice recognition. Speech recognition software is used for converting your own speech to text, whereas voice recognition software is used for converting dialogue or narrative in a video to text. The first works very well, whereas the latter produces rather poor results, as you described.

[Edited at 2015-01-22 11:59 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Correct, Max Jan 22, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

José, I think you are confusing speech recognition for voice recognition. Speech recognition software is used for converting your own speech to text, whereas voice recognition software is used for converting dialogue or narrative in a video to text. The first works very well, whereas the latter produces rather poor results, as you described.

It's good that there is speech/voice recognition differentiation. Thanks for clarifying the terms.

Some smart-aleck wannabe video translators think of using Dragon NS to transcribe videos, then shoot text through Google Translate, and have it time-spotted by some automatic contrivance that merely distributes the playing time proportionately to the number of characters.

The result should be much worse than the video at hand here.

Some colleagues who used the late ViaVoice said that it took them months to train the software to recognize their speech, as well as to get used to a somewhat boring (for human standards) way of speaking that would optimize results.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 22, 2015

[Edited at 2015-01-22 17:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What went wrong here?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »