Dominika Zdrodowski
Dominika Zdrodowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:36
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2015

Hello translators,

recently i started to work with a translation agency which asked me for rates for subtitling. They asked for a fixed price for an hour. Until now, I have been charging per word and I was curious if there is anyone out there who has prices for an hour and if yes, how much do you charge?

Thanks in advance!

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
Recent thread on this topic Jan 23, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/280682-subtitling_novice_if_i_should_even_get_into_it.html

1 hour of video usually results in 5000-10000 words on the script depending on content. This is without taking into account translation from audio or timecoding.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:36
Member (2013)
English to Russian
What service exactly are you providing? Jan 23, 2015

oihana5 wrote:

Hello translators,

recently i started to work with a translation agency which asked me for rates for subtitling. They asked for a fixed price for an hour. Until now, I have been charging per word and I was curious if there is anyone out there who has prices for an hour and if yes, how much do you charge?

Thanks in advance!

By "subtitling", do you mean the full cycle (transcription + timecoding + translation + formatting) or a part of it?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Beyond that Jan 23, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

By "subtitling", do you mean the full cycle (transcription + timecoding + translation + formatting) or a part of it?

... + burning + DVD authoring.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:36
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Not necessarily Jan 23, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

... + burning + DVD authoring.

There are many other kinds of subtitles that include neither burning nor authoring: teletext subs, CC, digital cinema (+3D subs), DVB streams, Web (e.g. Netflix Timed Text), venue subtitling (e.g. surtitles) and so on. The original poster never said what exact kind of subtitles she works with, so I thought it'd be safe to go with only the four key components

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Of course Jan 23, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

There are many other kinds of subtitles that include neither burning nor authoring: teletext subs, CC, digital cinema (+3D subs), DVB streams, Web (e.g. Netflix Timed Text), venue subtitling (e.g. surtitles) and so on. The original poster never said what exact kind of subtitles she works with, so I thought it'd be safe to go with only the four key components

Possibilities are endless, however a subtitled DVD is as far as I'll guess when a(n innocent or ignorant?) client says they want me to "transcribe" a video.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your rates for subtitling?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »