Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:41
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 5, 2015

Dear fellow translators,

I've been asked to quote for translating a documentar about quizomba, 1 h 02 min total length.
A big part of the documentary is music.
How shall I quote it? Watching the movie alone takes more than an hour, is it possible to have an idea of possible workload skipping that step?
It would be a new kind of project for me, for I have translated only a comercial from Galician of 7 min so far. It took me good couple hours.
I told the client
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I've been asked to quote for translating a documentar about quizomba, 1 h 02 min total length.
How shall I quote it? Watching the movie alone takes more than an hour, is it possible to have an idea of possible workload skipping that step?
It would be a new kind of project for me, for I have translated only a comercial from Galician of 7 min so far. It took me good couple hours.
I told the client the pricing would be at an hourly rate but have no a clue how many hours such documentar may take to be translated.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:41
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Quoting Feb 5, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Dear fellow translators,

I told the client the pricing would be at an hourly rate but have no a clue how many hours such documentar may take to be translated.

There are at least three approaches to quoting in this case:

1. Charge per hour of your work;
2. Charge per target word;
3. Charge per minute of footage (your regular rate with a discount proportional to the duration of non-speech segments in the video).

You should ask your client which one would be most convenient for him/her.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:41
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Feb 5, 2015

OMG, only now I noticed how Windows has "corrected" my English words into Portuguese, it looks bad, sorry.

My biggest question was exactly what could be the time estimation for such project.
I asked the agency for their advice taking they must be more experienced than me in this but they told it is not something they receive often.

At the same time, I went through the threads here and made a short summary, based on other translators' posts, of several factors to b
... See more
OMG, only now I noticed how Windows has "corrected" my English words into Portuguese, it looks bad, sorry.

My biggest question was exactly what could be the time estimation for such project.
I asked the agency for their advice taking they must be more experienced than me in this but they told it is not something they receive often.

At the same time, I went through the threads here and made a short summary, based on other translators' posts, of several factors to be taken into account - let this summary be useful for another fellow translator, newbie in the field - now I wonder if I can quote the posts like this:
1) My estimate is that a one hour video consisting primarily of a mostly continuous conversation between two people will result in a script of approximately 8,000-10,000 English words.
This is without taking into account translation from audio or timecoding.
My note: this amounts to up to 40 pages of the translation alone.
2) To the translation, timecoding shall be added:
This is without taking into account translation from audio or timecoding. "subtitling" the full cycle: transcription + timecoding + translation + formatting.
3) For me, transcriptions with timecodes take 4-5x the time that of transcriptions without.
4) Some think 10 eur/min (time-coding included) is ok
Others think it should be 20-25 eur/min for this job.
5) As far as the pricing goes, after doing some research on this myself a while ago, I charge Eyr 5 p/running minute for translating for subtitle use from spreadsheets, as you mention (some agencies use their own software for this), Eur 8 for transcribing + translating and Eur 13 per runnning minute for transcribing, translating and time-coding.

Based on the above, I suggested a certain fixed amount for the project.
So far, no news from them.
Let it be some help for myself and othet traslators in caes of possible future projects.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:41
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hm Feb 6, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

1) My estimate is that a one hour video consisting primarily of a mostly continuous conversation between two people will result in a script of approximately 8,000-10,000 English words.

If you're subtitling, you should never need to create a word-for-word script.
What you do is recreate an impression/condensation of the conversation that fits harmoniously with the available reading time at each point.
This often takes longer than a straight translation.
The typical process is that you have a written script in the original language and mark out subtitle divisions on it while watching the program. Then you translate/condense whatever fits in the available time.
If there's no script, you translate as you go (which takes a lot longer).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice for pricing? Kizomba movie

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »