Federica Lusardi
Federica Lusardi
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:23
Italian to English
+ ...
May 16, 2015

Hi everyone,

Which software do you usually use for transcriptions from video files? I would need some advice, I'm currently struggling a bit with the time codes. :S

Also, do you think a Subtitling software could do the trick?

Thank you!

Fede

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:23
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... May 16, 2015

Subtitle Workshop, Aegisub

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Express Scribe May 17, 2015

Try Express Scribe Pro (http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html). Non-pro version is free and provides a suite of transcription specific functions such as variable speed play-back, custom keyboard shortcuts and time code insertion.

Video play-back is only available in the pro edition which costs US$29. Many transcription service providers use this software.

Search YouTube for tutorial videos to see if it fits your requirements.

Note: this is not a subtitling software.

Federica Lusardi wrote:

Hi everyone,

Which software do you usually use for transcriptions from video files? I would need some advice, I'm currently struggling a bit with the time codes. :S

Also, do you think a Subtitling software could do the trick?

Thank you!

Fede

[Edited at 2015-05-17 07:53 GMT]

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 14:23
Japanese to English
InqScribe is also good! May 18, 2015

I also like InqScribe (https://www.inqscribe.com/).

In addition to keyboard shortcuts, it is compatible with devices (foot pedals) that allow you to
control video/audio playback with your foot, so you never have to take your fingers off the keyboard!

The trial version doesn't allow you to save or export your data, but you CAN copy/paste it from the text window into any text ed
... See more
I also like InqScribe (https://www.inqscribe.com/).

In addition to keyboard shortcuts, it is compatible with devices (foot pedals) that allow you to
control video/audio playback with your foot, so you never have to take your fingers off the keyboard!

The trial version doesn't allow you to save or export your data, but you CAN copy/paste it from the text window into any text editor, etc.

The license for an individual costs USD$99.
Collapse

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:23
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Embedded transcription tool in Fluency May 18, 2015

Hi Federica,

Fluency Now, and also its predecessor, has an embedded transcription tool, but I do not know if its performance could be compared to the performance of the software, mentioned by Sergei (Subtitle Workshop, Aegisub), with regard to video files.

I do not know whether any other CAT tools have such a feature and whether it is usable.

Probably, it is best to use specialized software. I would appreciate any feedback in this respect.

Rega
... See more
Hi Federica,

Fluency Now, and also its predecessor, has an embedded transcription tool, but I do not know if its performance could be compared to the performance of the software, mentioned by Sergei (Subtitle Workshop, Aegisub), with regard to video files.

I do not know whether any other CAT tools have such a feature and whether it is usable.

Probably, it is best to use specialized software. I would appreciate any feedback in this respect.

Regards,
Georgi
Collapse

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 10:53
Tamil to English
+ ...
Transcription software May 19, 2015

Media subtitler is also good especially for beginners. There are key board short cuts and not very complex to handle . For time coding one can use the manual mode and make precise time coding.

Subtite edit is also a good tool .

Federica Lusardi
Federica Lusardi
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:23
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 14, 2015

Hello everyone, apologies for the delay in answering.

I have to say that I tried a bit around and found InqScribe the most suitable software for what I need to do at the moment, thank you Michael!

Thank you for all the other advice as well, I'm keeping the list of suggested software and I will give them all a try in the near future for other jobs.

By the way, I tried Subtitle Workshop but it seems to not recognise the video format I'm trying to use (a norma
... See more
Hello everyone, apologies for the delay in answering.

I have to say that I tried a bit around and found InqScribe the most suitable software for what I need to do at the moment, thank you Michael!

Thank you for all the other advice as well, I'm keeping the list of suggested software and I will give them all a try in the near future for other jobs.

By the way, I tried Subtitle Workshop but it seems to not recognise the video format I'm trying to use (a normal mp4), I've seen topics around about the issue but I didn't manage to solve it yet, I'll try again!

Again, thank you all for your help!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Codecs Jun 14, 2015

Federica Lusardi wrote:

By the way, I tried Subtitle Workshop but it seems to not recognise the video format I'm trying to use (a normal mp4), I've seen topics around about the issue but I didn't manage to solve it yet, I'll try again!

Maybe you are missing codecs on your system.

Try using GSpot - http://gspot.headbands.com/ - to check that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription - Software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »