luciagutierrez
luciagutierrez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 2, 2015

Hi everyone,

Normally when I put a video input in Swift, it automatically plays the audio when I do the frame by frame navigation, so it is really easy to detect when the speech starts and finishes. However, I have an .avi file that is not doing that automatically. Any ideas of what can I do to get my precious frame by frame audio back?

Thanks!

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:05
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 2, 2015

luciagutierrez wrote:

Hi everyone,

Normally when I put a video input in Swift, it automatically plays the audio when I do the frame by frame navigation, so it is really easy to detect when the speech starts and finishes. However, I have an .avi file that is not doing that automatically. Any ideas of what can I do to get my precious frame by frame audio back?

Thanks!

Hi Lucia,

The frame-by-frame navigation is called Audio Scrubbing.

Could you please tell me what version of Swift you own?

luciagutierrez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Audio scrubbing Jun 2, 2015

Hi Max,

Thank you, I didn´t know the technical name for that.

The version I work with is v6.023 and it is a server license.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:05
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 2, 2015

luciagutierrez wrote:

Hi Max,

Thank you, I didn´t know the technical name for that.

The version I work with is v6.023 and it is a server license.

Ah, so it's an old one. Have you tried contacting the company's technical support?

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 22:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Video conversion? Jun 2, 2015

Hi Lucia,

Don't use Swift but in my software I've often had the same problem with certain mpg files. In all cases, converting the video to a different format, like mp4 for example did the trick. Just a thought.

luciagutierrez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
' Jun 2, 2015

I'm afraid I don't have such a thing. I am working on my final project for my MA. Do you know what can the problem be? Maybe the video format?

luciagutierrez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jun 2, 2015

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hi Lucia,

Don't use Swift but in my software I've often had the same problem with certain mpg files. In all cases, converting the video to a different format, like mp4 for example did the trick. Just a thought.

I was just thinking about the same. The video was originally a .mov, but the version I've got couldn't read it, so I converted it into a .avi. I will try and convert it into .wma and see if it helps.

Thanks!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Most likely it's a codec issue Jun 2, 2015

luciagutierrez wrote:

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hi Lucia,

I was just thinking about the same. The video was originally a .mov, but the version I've got couldn't read it, so I converted it into a .avi. I will try and convert it into .wma and see if it helps.

It's not exactly the conversion in itself, but the fact that upon converting you used a different codec for audio and/or for video.

There are countless options for both, and the best way out, without going into too much 'scientific' research, is converting into anything with any codecs that have worked previously on other videos.

luciagutierrez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's right Jun 2, 2015

Exactly. I've converted an extract into .wma with a compatible audio codec and it worked.

Thank you!

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Frame by frame? Jun 2, 2015

Jesus!

Never done that!
I assume you're doing it "by ear", right?
Your client asks you to do so?

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frame by frame audio with Swift

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »