audio visual (movie) trans/sub/dubbing in USA or South Korea
Thread poster: christinekang
christinekang
christinekang
South Korea
Jun 8, 2015

I am a 4th year senior about to graduate in the major of Translation and Interpretation and my future is looking so dark for I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

I have always wanted to work in that area of translation (field of movie trans/sub/dubbing).
Are there full time, official jobs or are they mostly free lancing?

I would like to know how others have started working in this field of trans, or hear any opinion on how to get started. Or would it
... See more
I am a 4th year senior about to graduate in the major of Translation and Interpretation and my future is looking so dark for I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

I have always wanted to work in that area of translation (field of movie trans/sub/dubbing).
Are there full time, official jobs or are they mostly free lancing?

I would like to know how others have started working in this field of trans, or hear any opinion on how to get started. Or would it be better to work in other areas and then move to audio visual translation???

Anything would be highly appreciated.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:12
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
You're the master of your future Jun 11, 2015

Hi Christine,

the future is not really all that dark.

Most translation jobs, especially in your desired field, are freelancer jobs. These projects are usually coming from agencies rather than from direct clients.

While you're about to graduate, use this time in checking out agencies specializing in Media / Multi Media. If you already have a good experience in translating e. g. subtitles, then
... See more
Hi Christine,

the future is not really all that dark.

Most translation jobs, especially in your desired field, are freelancer jobs. These projects are usually coming from agencies rather than from direct clients.

While you're about to graduate, use this time in checking out agencies specializing in Media / Multi Media. If you already have a good experience in translating e. g. subtitles, then contact the relevant agencies and offer your services. However, make sure that you're not selling yourself short, that is, working for bottom-feeder rates.

My advice is, explore other fields as well, since working in only one field might have an undesired impact on your income.

I hope this helps a little.

Best wishes,
Thayenga

[Edited at 2015-06-11 07:14 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

audio visual (movie) trans/sub/dubbing in USA or South Korea

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »