Tia Muller
Tia Muller  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:23
English to French
+ ...
Jun 9, 2015

Dear Proz,

After having completed a MA in Audiovisual translation and a PhD in subtitling for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, I am finally starting my career as a freelance subtitler.

A friend of mine bought a few years back Swift Create and as he is not using it wants to sell it to me for a reduced price. I am not sure this is legal. I have been trying to get in touch with Grass Valley, but to no avail. Does anybody on this forum know whether I can legally and rightfully
... See more
Dear Proz,

After having completed a MA in Audiovisual translation and a PhD in subtitling for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, I am finally starting my career as a freelance subtitler.

A friend of mine bought a few years back Swift Create and as he is not using it wants to sell it to me for a reduced price. I am not sure this is legal. I have been trying to get in touch with Grass Valley, but to no avail. Does anybody on this forum know whether I can legally and rightfully buy a second subtitling software?

Also, once I own the software, can I do updates to it? My friend owns the version 6 and I see that they are on the version 8.

Many thanks for your help!

Tia
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:23
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 9, 2015

Tia Muller wrote:

Dear Proz,

A friend of mine bought a few years back Swift Create and as he is not using it wants to sell it to me for a reduced price. I am not sure this is legal. I have been trying to get in touch with Grass Valley, but to no avail. Does anybody on this forum know whether I can legally and rightfully buy a second subtitling software?

Also, once I own the software, can I do updates to it? My friend owns the version 6 and I see that they are on the version 8.

Many thanks for your help!

Tia

Hi Tia,

I'll contact the Lead Development Coordinator at Grass Valley and get back to you whenever I get the response. But before I do that, I'd like to ask you to answer the following questions:

1. Is the price your friend offers reasonable?
2. How does this discounted price compare to the prices of other commercial subtitling tools?
3. Do you really want to purchase outdated software and then update it to the 2011 version for a hefty additional fee?

Tia Muller
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updates don't come for free? Jun 9, 2015

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply. And thanks for contacting your contact on my behalf. I have tried calling them in two different countries, sending them emails, but to no avail. This is worrying in case I ever need any software related assistance!

1. The price my friend is offering is €1000.
2. I'm not familiar with the price of all the other commercial subtitling software, but discussing it with my other subtitling friends, it seems reasonable.
3. That's wh
... See more
Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply. And thanks for contacting your contact on my behalf. I have tried calling them in two different countries, sending them emails, but to no avail. This is worrying in case I ever need any software related assistance!

2. I'm not familiar with the price of all the other commercial subtitling software, but discussing it with my other subtitling friends, it seems reasonable.
3. That's what I've been trying to find out. Why should we pay more to get updates from this type of software if the original price is already so expensive? I thought that it would be like Trados where you pay once a hefty price and then for a yearly small fee you can get all upgrades. This is making me having second thoughts!

Reading other threads, I saw that you use another commercial subtitling software. I am used to Wincaps and really cannot envisage working with Subtitle Workshop. I have also used and liked Fab. I have never worked with Swift before, but a few of my fellow colleagues use it and swear by it.

Thanks for your help,

T
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 9, 2015

Tia Muller wrote:

Hi Max,

3. That's what I've been trying to find out. Why should we pay more to get updates from this type of software if the original price is already so expensive? I thought that it would be like Trados where you pay once a hefty price and then for a yearly small fee you can get all upgrades. This is making me having second thoughts!

Reading other threads, I saw that you use another commercial subtitling software. I am used to Wincaps and really cannot envisage working with Subtitle Workshop. I have also used and liked Fab. I have never worked with Swift before, but a few of my fellow colleagues use it and swear by it.

Thanks for your help,

T

€1000 seems like a good deal. Okay, I'll ask my contact on your behalf.

P.S. I like neither WinCAPS nor FAB — I use EZTitles in work.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 9, 2015

Tia, I was told your info request has been received. You will be contacted shortly.

Tia Muller
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Max! Jun 9, 2015

That's great. I'll wait to hear from them.

T

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying second hand Swift Create software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »