Which languge combinations best for subtitling?
Thread poster: Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
French to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2005

Hello all,

I'm curious to know if I could make a living as a French/Spanish to English subtitler.

I'm really interesting in film subtitling and/or movie script translation, however, I don't know if there is enough demand for subtitling into (American) English to make this my sole specialization. I know that most of the subtitling that gets done is with films in (American) English being translated into another language, being that something like 80% of all films made c
... See more
Hello all,

I'm curious to know if I could make a living as a French/Spanish to English subtitler.

I'm really interesting in film subtitling and/or movie script translation, however, I don't know if there is enough demand for subtitling into (American) English to make this my sole specialization. I know that most of the subtitling that gets done is with films in (American) English being translated into another language, being that something like 80% of all films made come from the U.S. (at least that's what I heard). However, I know that Japanese animé is fairly popular in the States, but unfortunatley, Japanese is not one of my working languages. French and Spanish are. I find that it is only the occasional French or Spanish language film that makes it over to American audiences.

Anyway, I'd like to know if there are any full-time subtitlers with one or both of my language combinations (French and/or Spanish into English) who have managed to make a living. Also, to anyone familiar with the subtitling market, what language combinations do you find to be the most popular, i.e. lucrative?

Merci d'avance,

Sindee21
Collapse

Derek Platts (X)
Derek Platts (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish to English Subtitling Mar 13, 2005

From my view of the tv/film market, I would guess that English to Spanish subtitling would be the most lucrative. American movies are very popular in Latin America. I'm also sure that the huge growth of latinos in the US will also create a high demand for english to spanish subtitles (especially for DVDs).

-Derek
http://www.prospanishtranslations.com

Crystal Samples
Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 14, 2005

Derek Platts wrote:

From my view of the tv/film market, I would guess that English to Spanish subtitling would be the most lucrative. American movies are very popular in Latin America. I'm also sure that the huge growth of latinos in the US will also create a high demand for english to spanish subtitles (especially for DVDs).

-Derek
http://www.prospanishtranslations.com[/quote]

Thanks, Derek, for your reply. I see you have a lot of experience in this field, so your view of things is quite useful to me. I sort of guessed that English to Spanish would probably be the most popular, but in your experience, how would you say the Spanish to English translators fair in the subtitling arena?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which languge combinations best for subtitling?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »