Companies, which pay more than 3 USD per subtitles translation
Thread poster: Zoya Katsoeva
Zoya Katsoeva
Zoya Katsoeva
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:14
English to Russian
Nov 9, 2016

Hello, dear colleagues! I do love subtitles translation and I have experience in this field. But the companies I work for do not offer more than 2,5-3 USD per minute (and much less for editing). Usually they require subtitling from the script, not from the audio, and they don't require time-coding. But I hope there are companies that pay more for this kind of work. Colleagues, if you know some, could you please share in comments?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2016-11-09 10:42
... See more
Hello, dear colleagues! I do love subtitles translation and I have experience in this field. But the companies I work for do not offer more than 2,5-3 USD per minute (and much less for editing). Usually they require subtitling from the script, not from the audio, and they don't require time-coding. But I hope there are companies that pay more for this kind of work. Colleagues, if you know some, could you please share in comments?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2016-11-09 10:42 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's the trend for TV movies/series Nov 9, 2016

I won't name names here, but this is what big companies providing subtitling services for ultimate use in cable TV and streaming are expecting to pay... at most!

As they need subtitles in many languages, they get transcribers to extract the script from the audio, not always so accurately. Then spotters break it into subtitles and time them, to build a so-called "template". Then they expect many translators to run that template through Trados or whatever to get that template in umpte
... See more
I won't name names here, but this is what big companies providing subtitling services for ultimate use in cable TV and streaming are expecting to pay... at most!

As they need subtitles in many languages, they get transcribers to extract the script from the audio, not always so accurately. Then spotters break it into subtitles and time them, to build a so-called "template". Then they expect many translators to run that template through Trados or whatever to get that template in umpteen languages, possibly never bothering to watch the video.

The result is what I often see on cable TV. It's a different kind of work, not pristine subtitling from the audio track. Think of a wall or ceiling surface; the comparison here is equivalent to whitewashing vs. Michelangelo's. The movie remains there, just as the wall still separates rooms, or the ceiling prevents the rain from dripping in.
Collapse

Zoya Katsoeva
Zoya Katsoeva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Wanting for pristine translation :) Nov 9, 2016

the comparison here is equivalent to whitewashing vs. Michelangelo's. The movie remains there, just as the wall still separates rooms, or the ceiling prevents the rain from dripping in.

Thank you for your answer So, if I watch the movie while translating, compare English subtitle template with the sound and video, check, if there are some differences and make corrections... This is much more than these companies are really expecting from my work?

But how to find those who need the pristine subtitles translation?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Pristine subtitles Nov 9, 2016

Zoya Katsoeva wrote:

the comparison here is equivalent to whitewashing vs. Michelangelo's. The movie remains there, just as the wall still separates rooms, or the ceiling prevents the rain from dripping in.

Thank you for your answer So, if I watch the movie while translating, compare English subtitle template with the sound and video, check, if there are some differences and make corrections... This is much more than these companies are really expecting from my work?

But how to find those who need the pristine subtitles translation?

These most likely will be the studios working for the big producers, e.g. to develop the multiple-language DVDs/BDs for worldwide distribution... not mere domestic distributors or TV networks.

Another group that demands top quality is what is called "corporate video"... companies whose core business doesn't involve video at all, but they use it for product launch, training, institutional purposes etc. Incidentally, this is my specialty area, though I occasionally translate feature films and TV series too.

Zoya Katsoeva
Zoya Katsoeva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, José Nov 9, 2016

I'll think about this direction!

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:14
Russian to English
+ ...
How much do you charge for editing subtitles? Dec 16, 2016

Just came across this post when I was searching for information about what are the going rates for subtitle editing. I don't usually do this type of work so I have no idea what I should charge or if I should charge by the minute, by the hour, or per word.

What is a normal amount to charge for this work?

Best regards,
Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Companies, which pay more than 3 USD per subtitles translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »