Reina Virgilio  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:54
Member (2017)
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 17, 2018

Hello all,

I am doing a subtitling project and am using Aegisub, and I was wondering whether it has some function to control the length of one subtitle event?
For example, if one subtitle should last for at least 12 frames, is there any setting I can do so that Aegisub can detect the subtitles that don't meet the condition?
I have only learnt to use the basic functions of it yet and I should look into the manual by myself, but it is a bit urgent so I'd appreciate it if a
... See more
Hello all,

I am doing a subtitling project and am using Aegisub, and I was wondering whether it has some function to control the length of one subtitle event?
For example, if one subtitle should last for at least 12 frames, is there any setting I can do so that Aegisub can detect the subtitles that don't meet the condition?
I have only learnt to use the basic functions of it yet and I should look into the manual by myself, but it is a bit urgent so I'd appreciate it if anyone could help.

Thank you!
Collapse

camille94
camille94
France
Local time: 14:54
English to French
+ ...
CPS Jan 19, 2018

Hi Reina,

I have been using Aegisub a lot and for some time now, and as far as I know there is no way to control the number of frames - I might be wrong! However, controlling the number of characters per second or the number of characters per line might be a way of getting around it. The number of CPS can be checked in the "CPS" column on the left of your subtitle line. The number of characters per line can be monitored in a small box in the top right part of the Aegisub window, and
... See more
Hi Reina,

I have been using Aegisub a lot and for some time now, and as far as I know there is no way to control the number of frames - I might be wrong! However, controlling the number of characters per second or the number of characters per line might be a way of getting around it. The number of CPS can be checked in the "CPS" column on the left of your subtitle line. The number of characters per line can be monitored in a small box in the top right part of the Aegisub window, and that box goes red when there are more than 42 characters in the selected line (standard limit).

I hope this helps a bit!

[Edited at 2018-01-19 12:36 GMT]
Collapse

Ravi Prakash SK
T.J. Lynch

Reina Virgilio
Reina Virgilio  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:54
Member (2017)
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Jan 23, 2018

Hello Camille,

Thank you very much for your reply!
I have been trying to figure it out and serched the function by keywords in the manual, but it seems there is no relevant function to do so.
It's a shame since Aegisub is an accessible subtitling tool and the existing functions are satisfactory, if only it had the function to control it!
However your advice on checking the CPS and the number of words on the top right part will definitely help me too, as I have been
... See more
Hello Camille,

Thank you very much for your reply!
I have been trying to figure it out and serched the function by keywords in the manual, but it seems there is no relevant function to do so.
It's a shame since Aegisub is an accessible subtitling tool and the existing functions are satisfactory, if only it had the function to control it!
However your advice on checking the CPS and the number of words on the top right part will definitely help me too, as I have been counting words manually..
Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Marcella Segre
Marcella Segre  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
Italian to French
+ ...
CPL- Character per line counting Feb 4, 2019

I used Aegisub for a big subtitling job.
The client got back to me with a list of errors, most of which concern the length of the CPL.
When double checking on the software, I realized the CPL differs from the real characters per line !!!
How to sort this out? A part from counting characters manually on every line?

thanks

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Characters per line Feb 4, 2019

Hello Marcella,

Characters per line can be viewed in the subtitles edit box.

cf. http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Editing_Subtitles/ see number 5 under "The subtitles edit box".

You can define Maximum characters per line (beyond which there is a warning) in A
... See more
Hello Marcella,

cf. http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Editing_Subtitles/ see number 5 under "The subtitles edit box".

You can define Maximum characters per line (beyond which there is a warning) in Aegisub's Options.

cf. http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Options/#interface

You can add a line break by pressing Shift+Enter or by typing \N

Jean

[Edited at 2019-02-04 15:12 GMT]
Collapse

Raúl Sosa Días
Raúl Sosa Días  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
CPL- Character per line counting Jul 26, 2019

Hi Marcella,

You might have the same problem I had a couple of weeks ago.
In the window where you select your preferences for CPL and CPS, in the middle (under the character counter), there are two small checkboxes for "Ignore white spaces" and "Ignore punctuation".

That could be the cause of your difference in character count.

Hope that helps.
Raúl

Renata C B Silva
Jacqueline Pruschinski
Michael Bjørn

Franz Felix
Franz Felix
Uruguay
The number of characters in the longest line of the subtitle is locked at 219 Jul 10, 2020

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello Marcella,

The window corresponding to number 5 is locked at 219 and cannot be modified

You can define Maximum characters per line (beyond which there is a warning) in Aegisub's Options.

Jean

[Edited at 2019-02-04 15:12 GMT]

I changed this setting in Options to half (20), but nothing changes, the length of the line is actually at more than 40 characters.

I need lines to be no more than 23 characters. Is that allowed?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Jul 10, 2020

Number 5 is for viewing [NOT editing] the number of characters on the longest line of the currently selected subtitle.

This would mean the specific subtitle has 219 characters? Try editing the subtitle. Does the number change?

Maximum characters per line
If the value of the character counter is higher than this number, the background will turn red to alert you that you have exceeded the maximum line length. The maximum length is not enforced in any other way.... See more
Number 5 is for viewing [NOT editing] the number of characters on the longest line of the currently selected subtitle.

This would mean the specific subtitle has 219 characters? Try editing the subtitle. Does the number change?

Maximum characters per line
If the value of the character counter is higher than this number, the background will turn red to alert you that you have exceeded the maximum line length. The maximum length is not enforced in any other way.

The maximum characters per line produces a color warning. You have to manually edit the subtitle.

Question: Do you know how to add a new line in a subtitle? If no new line is added, the subtitle is treated as one single line…
Collapse

Franz Felix
Franz Felix
Uruguay
reply Jul 10, 2020

Many thanks for you prompt and accurate reply.

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I understand. So there is no option to limit the maximum number of characters per line?

Yes my line has 219 characters and I would like it to be automatically formatted to max 23 characters, without having to manually add \N at the end of each line.

Aegisub does have some facility to format it, because my 219 line is automatically subdivided into 6 lines of about 40-50 characters each. I only ask the format limit is 23 rather than 40.

Edit:
Then I found a solution using margin. If I put right margin to 1100 it works perfectly. Text keeps all on the left side (I am using alignment 4) without cluttering the main image on the right. 1100 characters margin make no sense for my understanding, but it works and this is what is important.

[Edited at 2020-07-10 21:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Controlling the subtitle length in Aegisub

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »