Thread poster: Akhil Kumar
Akhil Kumar
Akhil Kumar
India
Local time: 04:56
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Feb 16, 2019

Can anyone please suggest me any open source tool in which I can compare source and target subtitles and also watch the video? I tried Aegisub and Subtitle Edit but couldn't find this feature.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not for reviewing Feb 16, 2019

Akhil Kumar wrote:
Can anyone please suggest me any open source tool in which I can compare source and target subtitles and also watch the video?

I'm not a subtitler.

Many video players allow you to show multiple subtitles. This often involves setting the position of the subtitles. I sometimes do this with VLC Player, but there are others (not all open source). This would be useful for viewing multiple subtitles, but obviously you can't review them and see the results of your edits in real time.

[Edited at 2019-02-16 10:24 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Gaupol Feb 16, 2019

For text-based subtitles (.srt, .vtt, etc.), you can try Gaupol.

Compatible with Windows and GNU/Linux, released under the GPL.

https://otsaloma.io/gaupol/

For Windows, click the "Release details and other downloads" link. Latest .exe I can see is 1.3.1 (scroll down the page).

You can open a source subtitle fie, then open or add a translation subtitle file a
... See more
For text-based subtitles (.srt, .vtt, etc.), you can try Gaupol.

Compatible with Windows and GNU/Linux, released under the GPL.

https://otsaloma.io/gaupol/

For Windows, click the "Release details and other downloads" link. Latest .exe I can see is 1.3.1 (scroll down the page).

You can open a source subtitle fie, then open or add a translation subtitle file as well (I'll assume they have the same number of lines and timing). Gaupol also supports video files.
Collapse

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Subtitling is not technical translation Feb 16, 2019

If there's a need, there has to be someone willing to fulfill that need, so there's probably some subtitling tool where you can review subtitles in a source v. target fashion (cf. supra). However, subtitling does not consist in just taking the source lines and translating them into your target language. It involves compliance with the standard of subtitling in said target language and these often entails tweaking with timecodes in such a manner that you'll probably split the lines differently. I... See more
If there's a need, there has to be someone willing to fulfill that need, so there's probably some subtitling tool where you can review subtitles in a source v. target fashion (cf. supra). However, subtitling does not consist in just taking the source lines and translating them into your target language. It involves compliance with the standard of subtitling in said target language and these often entails tweaking with timecodes in such a manner that you'll probably split the lines differently. In other words, it's not a "there are 400 lines in this 24min English subbed video, so there has to be 400 lines in every single other language in the entire universe". It's a very common misconception regarding the subtitling process, so please keep that in mind when you review subtitles, I've seen many agencies jump into the "let's put all subtitles into a big TM with a pinch of AI and ML to reduce cost" wagon and literally smash their IPs into the ground with that belief.Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes Feb 16, 2019

I agree with Michel's comments. In my post, I was only answering the OP's question.

Still, for reviewing existing translations, it might be interesting to compare the subtitles and their translation side by side (in Gaupol, etc.), while making any edits or timing/line adjustments in Aegisub and Subtitle Edit (to cite the two other open source programs the OP mentionned) or any other subtitling program.

[Edited at 2019-02-16 10:29 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
LinguisticPlayer is free software Feb 17, 2019

Akhil Kumar wrote:

Can anyone please suggest me any open source tool in which I can compare source and target subtitles and also watch the video?

You can try LinguisticPlayer.

https://sites.google.com/site/linguisticplayer/home/lang-ru

https://sites.google.com/site/linguisticplayer/download

With two languages:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-03/12/cs/07.html

An example with one language (Czech):

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2018-03/12/cs/08.html

Milan

Preet Mehta
Preet Mehta
India
Local time: 04:56
English to Hindi
+ ...
Subtitle Edit - King of all Oct 29, 2022

Use SE.
Go to file > Original Subtitle Mode and... voila
You can now open both the files side by side.

Milan Condak
Stepan Konev

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Maybe... Oct 30, 2022

What about Oona? I haven't used it in a while but I think I used to see source and target in Oona-it's not my favourite subtitling tool but i think it does that.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Current SubtitleEdit Oct 30, 2022

Preet Mehta wrote:

Use SE.
Go to file > Original Subtitle Mode and... voila
You can now open both the files side by side.

Current SubtitleEdit, Menu:
Video, Open second subtitle file...

Milan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:26
English to Russian
3.6.4 vs 3.6.8 Oct 31, 2022

Milan Condak wrote:
Current SubtitleEdit, Menu: Video, Open second subtitle file...
It was version 3.6.4. In version 3.6.8 it is File - Open original subtitle (translator mode)... again.

[Edited at 2022-10-31 03:47 GMT]

Milan Condak

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
OOONA Oct 31, 2022

Josephine Cassar wrote:

What about Oona? I haven't used it in a while but I think I used to see source and target in Oona-it's not my favourite subtitling tool but i think it does that.

You're right in that regard. OOONA Review Pro lets you see up to 3 columns simultaneously (the master template, the translated subtitles, and your QCs). But I don't believe it's open-source software, which is what OP was looking for. At least, I'm not aware of the existence of a public repository where everyone can look into its source code.

[Edited at 2022-10-31 12:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any open source tool for reviewing subtitles

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »