Thread poster: JAMIN ALLEN
JAMIN ALLEN
JAMIN ALLEN  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:49
German to English
Feb 25, 2019

Hi All,

I have been asked for my average annual word count for subtitling. I do subtitling work quite often but haven't the foggiest idea how I am supposed to calculate this, or rather if even such a calculation is worth making?

Thanks in advance...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:49
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Per annum? Feb 26, 2019

Well, this is a rather odd request because nobody really knows how many words one translates per year.

The only halfway accurate annual word count might result from your daily output x the number of days you actually do subtitle translations. This excludes of course any days on which you work on other translations, are on vacation, or sick, or have a family event you must or want to attend. But then you must have confirmed orders for subtitle translation projects for twelve months.<
... See more
Well, this is a rather odd request because nobody really knows how many words one translates per year.

The only halfway accurate annual word count might result from your daily output x the number of days you actually do subtitle translations. This excludes of course any days on which you work on other translations, are on vacation, or sick, or have a family event you must or want to attend. But then you must have confirmed orders for subtitle translation projects for twelve months.

Frankly, I really can't see how anybody could predict how many words he or she translates in a month, let alone in a year, even if it's just an average estimate.

But let's see what our colleagues have to say.
Collapse

Kang Seok Lee

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:49
Member (2008)
English to French
Quick & easy Feb 26, 2019

Yearly income on your tax documents divided by your average per word price = gross estimate of your yearly weighed word count @ 1:1 for translation and around 1:3 for editing.

So if you earned, say $60K and you charge $0.10 per word, you worked on 600,000 weighed words in a year. If you do about half and half translation and editing, you could assume that you translated around 300,000 words a year and edited around 900,000 words.

Mihaela Serbanescu

Kang Seok Lee
Kang Seok Lee
South Korea
Local time: 12:49
Member (2018)
English to Korean
+ ...
Just a way of asking Feb 26, 2019

I think it is just a way of asking; how many days you can or willing to do the subtitling job.
As you said" I do subtitling work quite often" you might have made very excellent subtitling project, I presume.
I also think if I am your client of subtitling project, I would ask you like that.
I mean it is totally up to you.

Cheers!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average subtitling word count per annum

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »